SALT LAKE CITY — Imprisoned polygamist leader Warren Jeffs gave himself a new title on one of his latest pronouncements.
At the end of a one-paragraph, handwritten revelation he writes "President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints" under his signature. Jeffs is not president of the LDS Church.
His church is formally known as the Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, commonly referred to as FLDS. It is based in the twin towns of Colorado City, Ariz., and Hilldale, Utah. It is not affiliated with the LDS Church, based in Salt Lake City.
Over the past few months, Jeffs has mailed dozens of revelations from his prison cell in Palestine, Texas, to public agencies, schools and libraries throughout the country. In the latest round, he predicts the downfall of the president of the United States.
Jeffs, 56, is serving a life sentence plus 20 years for sexually assaulting two of his underage brides. The charges followed a 2008 raid on a West Texas ranch where some of his followers live. Former church members have said since his conviction last year that Jeffs would continue to try to lead his Utah-based church from prison.
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23