Photo courtesy of Deseret Book
"GLORY! Music of Rejoicing," Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square, $17.98
Brass cadences and dramatic melodies fill the new release by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and Orchestra at Temple Square, "Glory! Music of Rejoicing," which song by song declares a message of exuberant praise and celebration. The music of many well-known artists, including John Williams, John Rutter and Gioachino Rossini, add to accomplish the title and concurrent mission of the CD, to rejoice.
The first song, "Hymn of Praise," sets the tone with sounds of triumphant brass leading into later pieces "Exsultate Justi," "Glory!" and "Cum Sancto Spiritu," which reflect the robust opening number and power of the choir's numbers.
The orchestra and choir are also joined by soloist tenor Stanford Olsen, a professor of voice at Florida State University, who delivers a heartfelt message of praise in three songs, "Blessed be the Lord," "The Holy City" and "Nella Fantasia."
The album hosts a handful of contemplative and nostalgic songs, including John Rutter's "Look to the Day," "My House" from the original Peter Pan play and "Psalm 148," which acquaints the listener with new words to accompany the familiar song of "All Creatures of Our God and King."
Dispersed throughout the album are unique forms of praise, especially in the dance piece arranged by Mack Wilberg, "Wonder," the soft American folk hymn arranged by Ryan Murphy, "Pilgrim Song," and the arrangement of a medieval prayer by Patrick Doyle, "Non Nobis, Domine." The album ends appropriately with a flourishing arrangement of "Ode to Joy."
This 14-song CD proves the power of the 360-strong voices, adding another recording to the Grammy-winning choir's nearly 200-album repertoire.
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the Mormon...
- 'Saturday's Warrior' director shares details...
- Who decides if a law restricts a religious...
- LDS missionaries cover David Archuleta's...
- Temple Square opens 3 new exhibits
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon...
- 'Meet the Mormons' now available for...
- Defending the Faith: Did Book of Mormon... 137
- Who decides if a law restricts a... 17
- Jerry Earl Johnston: Do you fit the... 13
- 'Saturday's Warrior' director shares... 10
- The Rohingyas: A look into one of the... 8
- 34 of the most beautiful churches from... 7
- Who are ‘the least of... 5
- Jerry Earl Johnston: I can't move the... 4