Man accused of pushing girlfriend out of car at 65 mph waives preliminary hearing
FARMINGTON — A man accused of pushing his girlfriend out of a car at 65 mph conditionally waived his right to a preliminary hearing Friday.
Brandon Sloper, 25, who is facing charges of kidnapping and aggravated assault, both second-degree felonies, in connection with the July 2 incident, decided against a hearing on the evidence in 2nd District Court for the time being.
According to charging documents and a victim impact statement filed by the man's girlfriend, Sloper was driving his then-girlfriend to work in Layton when he decided he didn't want her working there anymore.
Sloper "did not want to let the victim go to work at her job because she would be working around and serving racial minorities," the charges state.
While they were driving, Sloper allegedly assaulted the woman inside the vehicle, including breaking her finger. She tried to get out of the truck several times at safe locations but he wouldn't let her, according to the charges.
Finally, Sloper pushed her out of the vehicle on state Route 193, investigators say.
"I sustained significant injuries including skull fractures, hemorrhage in my brain, a broken hand, and multiple abrasions, lacerations and road rash that resulted in significant blood loss and brain damage," the now-23-year-old woman said in her victim impact statement.
Other motorists and bystanders who saw the woman hit the ground called 911 as Sloper drove off.
Attorneys indicated they were looking into the possibility of a plea agreement. An arraignment hearing has been scheduled for Feb. 22.
- Many questions remain in case of baby found...
- Kennecott hopes project will change mountain...
- Circleville farmers scratching their heads...
- Woman who drank toxic tea credits God, family...
- Son of murdered woman felt peace in '91, now...
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Judge: Disclosing promises to witnesses...
- Missionary, police testify against man...
- Court allows Utah more time to file gay... 46
- Attorney general deciding whether to... 41
- Running again? Mitt Romney tells Hugh... 36
- Newborn found in trash can brings call... 34
- Audit reveals major concerns about UTA... 30
- Woman accused of leaving young son... 22
- Parents say daughter didn't understand... 22
- Gay rights activists to fight charges... 22