Man accused of pushing girlfriend out of car at 65 mph waives preliminary hearing
FARMINGTON — A man accused of pushing his girlfriend out of a car at 65 mph conditionally waived his right to a preliminary hearing Friday.
Brandon Sloper, 25, who is facing charges of kidnapping and aggravated assault, both second-degree felonies, in connection with the July 2 incident, decided against a hearing on the evidence in 2nd District Court for the time being.
According to charging documents and a victim impact statement filed by the man's girlfriend, Sloper was driving his then-girlfriend to work in Layton when he decided he didn't want her working there anymore.
Sloper "did not want to let the victim go to work at her job because she would be working around and serving racial minorities," the charges state.
While they were driving, Sloper allegedly assaulted the woman inside the vehicle, including breaking her finger. She tried to get out of the truck several times at safe locations but he wouldn't let her, according to the charges.
Finally, Sloper pushed her out of the vehicle on state Route 193, investigators say.
"I sustained significant injuries including skull fractures, hemorrhage in my brain, a broken hand, and multiple abrasions, lacerations and road rash that resulted in significant blood loss and brain damage," the now-23-year-old woman said in her victim impact statement.
Other motorists and bystanders who saw the woman hit the ground called 911 as Sloper drove off.
Attorneys indicated they were looking into the possibility of a plea agreement. An arraignment hearing has been scheduled for Feb. 22.
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- LDS missionary Mason Wells returns home 37...
- Arches National Park wants to ID those...
- Families need to know of dying decision to...
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah
- U.K. doctors embrace e-cigarettes as U.S....
- BYU will buy Provo High School for $25M,...
- Utah can't arrest its way out of heroin, pain...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- Top 10 names that must be from Utah 50
- BYU will buy Provo High School for... 48
- GOP's hard feelings over SB54 play part... 43
- LDS Church hires assistant church... 40
- Sen. Ted Cruz secures second Utah... 27
- Council approves policy banning dating... 26
- Report: Spending on charter students... 21