Jared Francom gave his life doing what he loved, slain officer's brother says
"We encourage everyone to remember the family of the suspect as they have a long road ahead of them as well. I'm sure this must be a difficult time for them as it is our family."
For Natalie Burrell, a phone call she received Wednesday night was like a nightmare.
She was told her husband of nine years, Ogden police officer Kasey Burrell, had been shot while serving a search warrant at 3268 Jackson Ave.
By the time she arrived at McKay-Dee Hospital Center, he was already in surgery. He was in the operating room for eight hours. He was shot in the head and stomach, and is in critical condition. She says she is proud of her husband and thankful.
"I cannot say enough about police officers," she said as she started crying. "They put their lives on the line."
Kasey Burrell has served with the Ogden Police Department since 2003 and has been a member of the Weber-Morgan Narcotics Metro Strike Force for the past five years.
Natalie, obviously shaken by what has happened, described her husband as a good police officer and a good guy, who has won a number of distinguished service awards including Officer of the Year and Agent of the Year.
"As much as he's a decorated officer, he's more of a decorated man in general," she said.
He's a father of a 5-year-old boy and a 2-year-old girl. The couple is expecting their third child in June.
"He is the best dad that anyone could ever want or have," she said, holding back tears. "He's the best husband that I could ever have ever asked for."
Natalie Burrell says the officers' families are a close-knit group, and the fact that one of them has died hurts and will for a long time.
"My heart goes out to all of them," she said. "They are my friends. They're like brothers. I'm just sorry that all of this has happened to everybody involved. It's unfortunate, and I'm just so, so thankful that my husband is here because some of us aren't as lucky."
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on statute...
- High school student found dead near Draper...
- 14 things you didn't know about dreams
- Ex-teacher who abused students asks judge not...
- Teen injured in Memorial Day crash dies
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away drought
- Vernal man accused of beating puppy with a bat
- We're not in Utah anymore — photos of...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 44
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 42
- 5 Browns sisters to promote bill on... 39
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 25
- Heavy rains in Utah fail to wash away... 24
- Grantsville residents tell Prison... 23
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 17
- Salt Lake City leaders announce... 15