'Proof' presents a comprehensive argument for the Book of Mormon's authenticity
"PROOF: How to Know the Book of Mormon is True," by Tom G. Rose, Cedar Fort, $9.99, 134 pages (nf)
"Proof: How to Know the Book of Mormon is True" is a lifetime of "proofs" presented by author Tom G. Rose to help build the testimonies of members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon as well as present a comprehensive argument for those who aren't members.
The book gives examples of Chiasmi, a writing style that was popular in the days of the Bible and are also found in the Book of Mormon. Rose also shows examples of the Hebrew style of writing known as Hebraisms in the Book of Mormon in addition to several other points that he believes prove that Joseph Smith was not the author of the text.
One of the only places where "Proof" falls short is that the author liberally adds text to referenced scriptures to make his point. He does note that changes were made, but this may leave the reader wondering why. An explanation on why the text was added or changed would have helped.
The book is easy read and laid out plainly for the reader to understand. While the reader is not presented with definitive evidence on the Book of Mormon's authenticity, it does invite discussion and reflection.
Rose acquired a master's of religious education from BYU in 1969 and helped develop study guides on this subject for the LDS Church for more than 20 years as well as translate the footnotes for the Book of Mormon into several non-English editions.
Branden Hurst is a proud father of four who grew up outside of Utah - and the LDS faith. He has worked in the IT industry for over 14 years, but in his free time enjoys sharing in wholesome activities with his family and working on genealogy.
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the 'ultimate...
- Redskins find new opponent, supporter of name...
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered... 63
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 28
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 22
- Ask Angela: Woman shares update on... 20
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 18