Arts, Hunt explained, are a natural thing that shouldn’t be overlooked in a child’s education and experience growing up.
“If you are around little children, everything is sung and danced and acted. Their natural state of being is in that state of imagination," she said. "That’s who we are as human beings. We’re creative by nature.”
The studies also acknowledged Utah’s average student enrollment — which is nearly twice as large as that of every neighboring state. Despite legislative funding, despite a culture centered on arts, reaching every child can be difficult.
“We have our work cut out for us,” Hunt said.
Cathy Jensen, state fine arts specialist who heads both the Professional Outreach Program in the School and the Beverley Taylor Sorenson program, discussed the purposes of both programs: to harbor creativity, to show kids possible careers, or to merely introduce them to something they can love.
Larson, Hawkins, Fowler and Ballam are all involved with the professional outreach program as well. Speak with any of them, and their passion for exposing as many children as possible to the arts is evident.
“You just don’t know without opportunity, what blatant skills and attributes lie within a child that could be untapped without exposure,” Jensen said.
Next week: Catch a glimpse of the many different arts outreach programs in Utah schools and the impact these programs have.
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of history, too
- Wright Words: What I learned on a trail near...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 keys to a great family...
- Is this TV show a 'game changer for people...
- 4 tips for planning a successful family hike
- Linda & Richard Eyre: Top parenting ideas,...
- Simple cheese and chive baguettes dress up...
- Arianne Brown: A taste of humble pie and ice...
- LDS family runs a nonalcoholic apple... 7
- Amy Iverson: Showing kids how to make... 6
- Wright Words: What I learned on a trail... 4
- The Clean Cut: 91-year-old widow... 2
- Tiffany Gee Lewis: Lessons from sending... 2
- Motherhood Matters: Don't fix the pains... 2
- Twila Van Leer: Wow! I'm part of... 1
- Heart-pounding 'Jason Bourne' makes the... 1