Arts, Hunt explained, are a natural thing that shouldn’t be overlooked in a child’s education and experience growing up.
“If you are around little children, everything is sung and danced and acted. Their natural state of being is in that state of imagination," she said. "That’s who we are as human beings. We’re creative by nature.”
The studies also acknowledged Utah’s average student enrollment — which is nearly twice as large as that of every neighboring state. Despite legislative funding, despite a culture centered on arts, reaching every child can be difficult.
“We have our work cut out for us,” Hunt said.
Cathy Jensen, state fine arts specialist who heads both the Professional Outreach Program in the School and the Beverley Taylor Sorenson program, discussed the purposes of both programs: to harbor creativity, to show kids possible careers, or to merely introduce them to something they can love.
Larson, Hawkins, Fowler and Ballam are all involved with the professional outreach program as well. Speak with any of them, and their passion for exposing as many children as possible to the arts is evident.
“You just don’t know without opportunity, what blatant skills and attributes lie within a child that could be untapped without exposure,” Jensen said.
Next week: Catch a glimpse of the many different arts outreach programs in Utah schools and the impact these programs have.
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge for...
- The 9 most overlooked threats to a marriage
- Playing favorites can increase the chance a...
- The Clean Cut: Ellen DeGeneres gives money to...
- This type of high school can increase your...
- Utah families share tragic stories of teens...
- Comedian Jim Gaffigan shares his 'Love Story'...
- A black and white Halloween: Classic suspense...
- Are teachers getting behind Common... 15
- Chris and Sally Mart create a refuge... 8
- Studio C teams up with popular indie... 6
- Bound together: marriage rates and the... 5
- This type of high school can increase... 5
- The Clean Cut: Ellen DeGeneres gives... 5
- Can too many dating options be a... 5
- Watch live: Wheatley conference on family 4