Arts, Hunt explained, are a natural thing that shouldn’t be overlooked in a child’s education and experience growing up.
“If you are around little children, everything is sung and danced and acted. Their natural state of being is in that state of imagination," she said. "That’s who we are as human beings. We’re creative by nature.”
The studies also acknowledged Utah’s average student enrollment — which is nearly twice as large as that of every neighboring state. Despite legislative funding, despite a culture centered on arts, reaching every child can be difficult.
“We have our work cut out for us,” Hunt said.
Cathy Jensen, state fine arts specialist who heads both the Professional Outreach Program in the School and the Beverley Taylor Sorenson program, discussed the purposes of both programs: to harbor creativity, to show kids possible careers, or to merely introduce them to something they can love.
Larson, Hawkins, Fowler and Ballam are all involved with the professional outreach program as well. Speak with any of them, and their passion for exposing as many children as possible to the arts is evident.
“You just don’t know without opportunity, what blatant skills and attributes lie within a child that could be untapped without exposure,” Jensen said.
Next week: Catch a glimpse of the many different arts outreach programs in Utah schools and the impact these programs have.
- Husband remembers late wife through photos of...
- Funeral plans set for BYU student, LDS...
- Utah-based 'Kid History' collaborates with...
- The Piano Guys: 4 dads on a mission
- Family's video Christmas card goes viral
- Raising real men: Teaching the whys of media...
- BYU fan reflects: 6 lessons I learned at...
- Utahn wins $1 million, 'Sole Survivor' title...
- The Piano Guys: 4 dads on a mission 9
- Raising real men: Teaching the whys of... 4
- Funeral plans set for BYU student, LDS... 3
- As NORAD tracks Santa, critics track NORAD 2
- When it’s OK to ignore your children 2
- Husband remembers late wife through... 2
- Most Americans celebrate Christmas, but... 2
- LDS music to celebrate the Christmas... 1