'It's a very, very sad day;' 1 officer killed, 5 wounded in Ogden shootout
"It really is a tragic situation. It gives us all pause," Herbert said. "Today I know we're united in mourning this incident, particularly with the loss of Jared Francom and his family and what they're going through."
Herbert met with some of the family members of the wounded officers Thursday. "Their medical outlook looks at least somewhat positive," he said.
"They are surprisingly upbeat, the families I met with," the governor said. "I think they are proud of the service their loved ones have given."
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints issued a statement Thursday about the shootings: "We extend our sympathy and prayers to all who have been affected by this tragedy. We pray that the Spirit of the Lord will bring comfort, peace and healing to all at this difficult time."
Francom is the eighth Ogden police officer in the department’s history to be killed in the line of duty, and the 134th statewide. The last Ogden police officer killed in the line of duty was detective Marshall White, who was killed by a burglary suspect in 1963. The Marshall White Center in Ogden is named after him.
The Bank of Utah set up accounts in the names of each of the officers who were injured on Wednesday. All funds raised will go directly to the officer to whom the funds were donated, Ogden police said.
A Facebook page was created Thursday honoring Francom. A makeshift memorial with flowers and and candles was also erected outside the home where the shootings occurred.
At note placed at the memorial said: "Thank you agent Jared Francom for your sacrifice and unwavering heroism in the line of duty. You will not be forgotten. And may God bless your family and loved ones in their time of needs."
Contributing: Amy Joi O'Donoghue, Sandra Yi, Dennis Romboy, Hunter Schwarz
- Rep. Justin Miller pleads guilty to...
- Photo gallery: Night skies over national parks
- Pres. Nelson honored by the University of Utah
- Police seek alleged drug money from woman...
- Rep. Jason Chaffetz says he wouldn't run...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with...
- Utah man impresses all four judges on 'The...
- Inmate charged with sending threatening...
- Is 'Speaker Chaffetz' more likely with... 68
- Chaffetz's run for speaker makes... 47
- Utah cites Warren Jeffs as reason... 42
- Scholars disagree whether compromise... 41
- Gov. Herbert says latest Medicaid... 29
- Proposal calls for 900 South to be... 20
- Judge dismisses negligence lawsuit... 15
- Lawmakers hear support for Medicaid... 15