Warren Jeffs issues revelations amid new allegations of girls being 'held' by FLDS
He said Jeffs has ramped up an old tactic, dividing his community into two camps. The most righteous are exalted. The less righteous, the so-called 'Evil Ward,' are being stripped of privileges.
"They're not actually kicked out," Fischer said. "They're actually on probation, if you will." He said it's a tactic designed to win members' loyalty by using fear as the driving force.
"For those that are devout," Fischer said, "they're getting more solid. The more he scares them, the more the frenzy goes up. The more the mysticism goes up, the more panicky they get, the more certainly committed they become that they must do whatever Warren Jeffs says.
"I think there's a significant number, however, who are beginning to say, 'Enough's enough. This is craziness.'"
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of...
- World War II munitions with mustard agent...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 22
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 19
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 14