State Rep. Stephen Sandstrom, R-Orem, who has announced he will also run for the 4th District seat, has said he will resign from the Legislature, but not until after it concludes March 8. He has said he wants to remain in the fight over ongoing immigration issues.
In December, Rep. Dave Clark, R-Santa Clara, announced his resignation from the Legislature due to the fundraising ban. He is running for the 2nd Congressional District seat.
And state Sen. Dan Liljenquist, R-Bountiful, also resigned in December. Wednesday he announced his bid to unseat U.S. Sen. Orrin Hatch in November.
As for the break-in, Wimmer said the landlord of the building containing his office was notified by police early Tuesday morning about the incident.
For some reason, whoever burglarized the building passed over stealing hundreds or thousands of dollars of computer equipment, flat-screen TVs and cellphones, he said.
"I have nothing to indicate that it is politically motivated. And certainly, I wouldn't make any kind of accusation to that degree," Wimmer said.
"I've been in law enforcement most of my adult life, and burglaries happen."
Cpl. Shane Taylor, Saratoga Springs police spokesman, said that all eight suites of Building C at 14587 S. 790 West, Bluffdale, were broken into sometime between Friday and Monday. The burglary was discovered Monday. The entry doors to all eight suites were broken open, but only $13 and some candy bars were stolen from a sandwich shop that occupies one of those suites.
Wimmer occasionally leases a 10 feet by 10 feet room for his campaign within the building's Suite 204, Taylor said, which is otherwise occupied by a food handler. Desks within that office had been rummaged through, but nothing was taken.
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over their...
- Former Utah basketball player spreads hope...
- Romney decision not to run again disappoints...
- Jury exonerates Marc Jenson in fraud, money...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Utah's largest oil producer lays off 80...
- State School Board explores budget cuts as...
- 7 unique adventure dates for two, on the cheap
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 204
- LDS leaders respond to reaction over... 150
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 39
- Romney decision not to run again... 38
- LDS statement could move Utah... 31
- Former Utah basketball player spreads... 25
- Business community supports tax... 22
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 21