State Rep. Stephen Sandstrom, R-Orem, who has announced he will also run for the 4th District seat, has said he will resign from the Legislature, but not until after it concludes March 8. He has said he wants to remain in the fight over ongoing immigration issues.
In December, Rep. Dave Clark, R-Santa Clara, announced his resignation from the Legislature due to the fundraising ban. He is running for the 2nd Congressional District seat.
And state Sen. Dan Liljenquist, R-Bountiful, also resigned in December. Wednesday he announced his bid to unseat U.S. Sen. Orrin Hatch in November.
As for the break-in, Wimmer said the landlord of the building containing his office was notified by police early Tuesday morning about the incident.
For some reason, whoever burglarized the building passed over stealing hundreds or thousands of dollars of computer equipment, flat-screen TVs and cellphones, he said.
"I have nothing to indicate that it is politically motivated. And certainly, I wouldn't make any kind of accusation to that degree," Wimmer said.
"I've been in law enforcement most of my adult life, and burglaries happen."
Cpl. Shane Taylor, Saratoga Springs police spokesman, said that all eight suites of Building C at 14587 S. 790 West, Bluffdale, were broken into sometime between Friday and Monday. The burglary was discovered Monday. The entry doors to all eight suites were broken open, but only $13 and some candy bars were stolen from a sandwich shop that occupies one of those suites.
Wimmer occasionally leases a 10 feet by 10 feet room for his campaign within the building's Suite 204, Taylor said, which is otherwise occupied by a food handler. Desks within that office had been rummaged through, but nothing was taken.
- Community comes together to surprise...
- Man killed in avalanche had a passion for...
- 'We're not going to stop'
- About Utah: Company helps show 'you don't win...
- Photos: Olympian Noelle Pikus-Pace speaks to...
- No money for House Speaker Becky Lockhart's...
- Behind the masks: Why some Utahns choose...
- Family of BYU student hit by car say they are...
- Utah Democrats offer full Medicaid... 34
- Gov. Herbert threatens veto of House... 31
- Judge: Biological father will share... 28
- The story of a fish, a river and what's... 24
- Local religious leaders urge support... 24
- Cities, state battle panhandling... 22
- Utah unemployment rate hits five-year low 18
- Dog lovers walk to support anti-bias... 12