State Rep. Stephen Sandstrom, R-Orem, who has announced he will also run for the 4th District seat, has said he will resign from the Legislature, but not until after it concludes March 8. He has said he wants to remain in the fight over ongoing immigration issues.
In December, Rep. Dave Clark, R-Santa Clara, announced his resignation from the Legislature due to the fundraising ban. He is running for the 2nd Congressional District seat.
And state Sen. Dan Liljenquist, R-Bountiful, also resigned in December. Wednesday he announced his bid to unseat U.S. Sen. Orrin Hatch in November.
As for the break-in, Wimmer said the landlord of the building containing his office was notified by police early Tuesday morning about the incident.
For some reason, whoever burglarized the building passed over stealing hundreds or thousands of dollars of computer equipment, flat-screen TVs and cellphones, he said.
"I have nothing to indicate that it is politically motivated. And certainly, I wouldn't make any kind of accusation to that degree," Wimmer said.
"I've been in law enforcement most of my adult life, and burglaries happen."
Cpl. Shane Taylor, Saratoga Springs police spokesman, said that all eight suites of Building C at 14587 S. 790 West, Bluffdale, were broken into sometime between Friday and Monday. The burglary was discovered Monday. The entry doors to all eight suites were broken open, but only $13 and some candy bars were stolen from a sandwich shop that occupies one of those suites.
Wimmer occasionally leases a 10 feet by 10 feet room for his campaign within the building's Suite 204, Taylor said, which is otherwise occupied by a food handler. Desks within that office had been rummaged through, but nothing was taken.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes 'in...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- Poll: 66 percent of Utahns support... 51
- GOP primary in governor's race now... 24
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 14
- Scam targets families of LDS missionaries 13
- Provo transit project set to begin,... 13
- Chaffetz attorney calls FEC complaint... 12
- Former BYU, non-Mormon professor writes... 11
- After more than 6 years, 3 families... 11