SOUTH JORDAN — This southwest Salt Lake County city got a new mayor Tuesday night.
In a four-hour meeting, the City Council selected, unanimously approved and swore in Scott L. Osborne to replace outgoing Mayor Kent Money.
Osborne, 57, owns Osborne's Engineering Supply in Riverton and Vision Perfect Software, which supplies software to the golf industry. He and his wife, Denice, are the parents of four grown children.
“The work, planning and effort of all who have previously served in the office of mayor, city council and city staff, has produced a wonderful town," Osborne, a 30-year resident of South Jordan, said in a prepared statement. "With the announcement of Mayor Money to accept a work assignment out of the country, I felt this was an opportunity to give service back to this city."
Osborne said he looks forward to working on several major developments the city will face, including transit-oriented development around a planned FrontRunner station near 10400 South and I-15, further growth of Kennecott Utah Copper's Daybreak development, growth along under-construction Mountain View corridor, among others.
Money had planned to resign effective Feb. 1, South Jordan spokeswoman Kelly Pfost said. But as an employee of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he is relocating to New Zealand, and he decided he needs additional time to make that transition, she said. The city announced his resignation and made a call for applicants on Dec. 7, 2011.
Osborne was one of 19 applicants for the position. The City Council gave each applicant three minutes to speak, then went into closed session to discuss whom to select, Pfost said.
Then, returning to open session, the council voted unanimously to select Osborne. In the same meeting, the City Council gained three new members, who were elected in November and also sworn in Tuesday.
South Jordan has a population of about 50,000 and has a city manager-council form of government. Mayor is a part-time position.
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mom battling cancer determined to live for...
- Six arrested in wild Utah County kidnapping;...
- Friends, family, strangers gather at vigil...
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while lunging...
- 'Living nightmare' almost over for daughters...
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving door...
- Ogden couple killed in murder-suicide identified
- 'They killed my son because he's... 78
- Jason Chaffetz: Mitt Romney is leaving... 65
- Was Saratoga Springs man killed while... 51
- Taylorsville teacher injured after her... 47
- Do guns belong in the hands of... 39
- Friends, family, strangers gather at... 35
- Vail Resorts buys Park City Mountain... 16
- Utah's Gov. Gary Herbert eyes more... 11