SOUTH JORDAN — This southwest Salt Lake County city got a new mayor Tuesday night.
In a four-hour meeting, the City Council selected, unanimously approved and swore in Scott L. Osborne to replace outgoing Mayor Kent Money.
Osborne, 57, owns Osborne's Engineering Supply in Riverton and Vision Perfect Software, which supplies software to the golf industry. He and his wife, Denice, are the parents of four grown children.
“The work, planning and effort of all who have previously served in the office of mayor, city council and city staff, has produced a wonderful town," Osborne, a 30-year resident of South Jordan, said in a prepared statement. "With the announcement of Mayor Money to accept a work assignment out of the country, I felt this was an opportunity to give service back to this city."
Osborne said he looks forward to working on several major developments the city will face, including transit-oriented development around a planned FrontRunner station near 10400 South and I-15, further growth of Kennecott Utah Copper's Daybreak development, growth along under-construction Mountain View corridor, among others.
Money had planned to resign effective Feb. 1, South Jordan spokeswoman Kelly Pfost said. But as an employee of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he is relocating to New Zealand, and he decided he needs additional time to make that transition, she said. The city announced his resignation and made a call for applicants on Dec. 7, 2011.
Osborne was one of 19 applicants for the position. The City Council gave each applicant three minutes to speak, then went into closed session to discuss whom to select, Pfost said.
Then, returning to open session, the council voted unanimously to select Osborne. In the same meeting, the City Council gained three new members, who were elected in November and also sworn in Tuesday.
South Jordan has a population of about 50,000 and has a city manager-council form of government. Mayor is a part-time position.
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre urges...
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close South...
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence of...
- Deer attacks man in Draper backyard, police say
- Two rescued after falling through ice at...
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 56
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 38
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 26
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14