FORT DUCHESNE, Uintah County — A Fort Duchesne man who is facing a federal murder charge made his first court appearance Wednesday.
During the hearing, U.S. Magistrate Judge Paul Warner appointed a federal public defender to represent Colin Rian Manning. A hearing to determine whether Manning should remain in federal custody pending trial is scheduled for Friday.
A Nov. 22 grand jury indictment charges Manning, 24, with murder in the second degree while within Indian Country and aiding and abetting, assault causing serious bodily injury while within Indian Country and aiding and abetting, and use of a firearm in furtherance of a crime of violence.
Manning is the seventh person charged in connection with a June 18 shooting that killed James Edward Carey and critically injured Jared R. Hurley. His case will be tried in federal court because he is an enrolled member of the Ute Indian Tribe and the shooting occurred within the boundaries of the Uintah-Ouray Indian Reservation.
Six other people face charges in state court.
Bruce Silva, the alleged gunman, is charged in 8th District Court with murder and attempted murder, both first-degree felonies.
Three of Silva's brothers — Adrian Silva, Alberto Silva Jr. and Kevin Silva — are each charged with murder and attempted murder, as are Silva's girlfriend Shadow Reed and another woman, Teaunna Cesspooch.
The Silvas, Reed and Cesspooch also face other felony and misdemeanor charges in state court. They are being held in the Uintah County Jail awaiting separate jury trials.
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- LDS missionary 'stable' following hit-and-run...
- A firsthand perspective: Reflecting on the...
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at least...
- Members recall Sister Monson's quiet devotion
- Utah facing $1.2 billion-dollar water...
- Psychologist calls doctor accused of killing...
- Utah soldier presumed dead in Afghanistan
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 62
- Mitt Romney to live in Utah — at... 45
- Police say driver who hit 3 children... 27
- Angry Orrin Hatch: IRS guilty of... 19
- Utah GOP convention agenda includes... 19
- Attorney General John Swallow says he's... 16
- Mormon missionary age announcement... 14
- Angelina Jolie announcement leads to... 12