Living to be 98 years old is an amazing thing. LDS Church President Gordon B. Hinckley did it and was incredibly active through his 90s, continuing to travel the world. He once told me in an interview that the “secret” is being able to “go to bed every evening and get up every morning!” Age never diminished his great sense of humor, either.
My grandmother was also President Hinckley’s age, and Nana could work us all under the table until her last few years. In fact, she was so active, she continued to fastidiously keep her house so spotless that we could lick the floor and think it tasted good! Just kidding — but she was an incredible homemaker — cooking and cleaning and serving her family well into her 90s.
With those examples before me, I was especially enamored with Dora Fitch, a 97-1/2-year-old beauty who’s so busy and accomplished that it’s almost staggering. On our next Mormon Times TV show this Sunday, Jan. 8, you’ll get to meet her, and you’ll be amazed at what she’s doing for herself — and others.
Mary Jane McGregor has a unique way of helping others — she serves people she doesn’t even know — all over the world. She recently returned from Rwanda, and you’ll see what she was doing there to help to save babies’ lives. We’ll also find out how other volunteers are reaching out as part of the LDS Church’s humanitarian program.
And it was a life-changing experience this fall for members of BYU's a cappella group Vocal Point. They sang and danced their way into the hearts of a national television audience on NBC’s "The Sing-Off." You'll meet the guys in the group and see what earned them fans and respect on the show, how they were able to share their values and standards, plus find out what’s next in their lives.
The Mormon Times television show airs Sunday mornings at 10 a.m. on KSL-TV following the Mormon Tabernacle Choir broadcast. It can also be viewed online at www.ksltv.com. Just click on "Mormon Times" on the light blue header at the top, where you can see past episodes. You can also follow us on Facebook at facebook.com/MormonTimesTV.
Michelle King is the host of Mormon Times TV that airs Sunday mornings at 10 a.m. on KSL.
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- 10 religious leaders you may not know about
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- Should I stay or should I go? How faith adds...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 35
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 12
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- Over half a million people attended... 4
- 5 unusual places of worship 4
- Pope Francis to marry couples with... 3