Whitcomb said it was a surprise to find out just how taxing being on the television stage can be even though she's wanted a performing career since she was little. "It was very emotionally and physically exhausting. Now I know why people on reality shows cry so much!" she said. "There's so much pressure."
And the demands haven't stopped since the group was cut from "The Sing-Off." They've been to Rochester, N.Y., for a holiday show and will be guest performers at the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella. Then they head to Hong Kong.
"We have five trips scheduled so far and more coming all the time," Walker said.
The girls have a challenge with the rehearsals since Walker is in Utah right now. "They send me music. I learn it and we rehearse when we get together," she said. "It's very different."
Meanwhile, she's trying to keep up with her classes. (She took her final exams in the four days between the Christmas "Sing-Off" finale taping and leaving for New York.)
Whitcomb has graduated, so she doesn't have that additional stress this time around.
"I did that during the first season of 'The Sing-Off' with Noteworthy, and it was so hard," she said.
Walker said her friends and professors "carried" her through her classes, offering her their notes and making concessions that made it possible to pass her classes with high Bs.
"I'm livin' the dream," Walker said. "I've enjoyed every step and bump, every success and every trial. I wouldn't trade the experience that I had for the world. I met the most amazing, genuine and talented people and am so grateful that I was presented with the opportunity.
“I just love performing — if I don’t perform, I’ll die," she said.
If you go:
What: Noteworthy concert
Where: Covey Center for the Arts, 424 W. Center, Provo
When: 7:30 p.m., Jan. 6
Cost: $10/$8 students, seniors
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm headed to...
- LDS Church enhances web pages on its history,...
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did not win'...
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the time to...
- Amish school shooter's kin: Horror, then healing
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Many Mormon missionaries who return... 108
- Ask Angela: I'm 24 and I think I'm... 64
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach... 22
- Space and religion: How believers view... 20
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Mark Twain and... 13
- One year since Sandy Hook: 'Evil did... 9
- Tips for LDS bloggers from the... 8
- Pres. Monson teaches Christmas is the... 8