Whitcomb said it was a surprise to find out just how taxing being on the television stage can be even though she's wanted a performing career since she was little. "It was very emotionally and physically exhausting. Now I know why people on reality shows cry so much!" she said. "There's so much pressure."
And the demands haven't stopped since the group was cut from "The Sing-Off." They've been to Rochester, N.Y., for a holiday show and will be guest performers at the International Championship of Collegiate A Cappella. Then they head to Hong Kong.
"We have five trips scheduled so far and more coming all the time," Walker said.
The girls have a challenge with the rehearsals since Walker is in Utah right now. "They send me music. I learn it and we rehearse when we get together," she said. "It's very different."
Meanwhile, she's trying to keep up with her classes. (She took her final exams in the four days between the Christmas "Sing-Off" finale taping and leaving for New York.)
Whitcomb has graduated, so she doesn't have that additional stress this time around.
"I did that during the first season of 'The Sing-Off' with Noteworthy, and it was so hard," she said.
Walker said her friends and professors "carried" her through her classes, offering her their notes and making concessions that made it possible to pass her classes with high Bs.
"I'm livin' the dream," Walker said. "I've enjoyed every step and bump, every success and every trial. I wouldn't trade the experience that I had for the world. I met the most amazing, genuine and talented people and am so grateful that I was presented with the opportunity.
“I just love performing — if I don’t perform, I’ll die," she said.
If you go:
What: Noteworthy concert
Where: Covey Center for the Arts, 424 W. Center, Provo
When: 7:30 p.m., Jan. 6
Cost: $10/$8 students, seniors
Sharon Haddock is a professional writer with 35 years experience, 17 at the Deseret News. Her personal blog is at sharonhaddock.blogspot.com.
- Preparing to split up, LDS General Primary...
- General Women's Session focuses on family, home
- Photo gallery: Holi festival immerses Utahns...
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground on...
- LDS Church releases Easter video, campaign
- 185th Annual General Conference talk...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone and...
- Returning LDS missionary, father battling...
- Defending the Faith: Joseph, the stone... 176
- 11 things you should know about the... 80
- General Women's Session focuses on... 32
- The challenges and blessings of... 27
- State bills to protect religious... 25
- Millennials are the ‘don’t... 17
- Taylor Halverson: Learning is becoming... 17
- 'Killing Jesus' takes up middle ground... 17