28. SOUTH SALT LAKE, Oct. 1 — Stephen Angel Lopez, 19, was shot to death after a fight broke out at a rap concert at the Arbat Reception Hall, 375 E. 3300 South. Five others were hospitalized — at least one in critical condition — after either being shot, stabbed, beaten or injured while trying to flee in a vehicle and crashing. Police said the incident was gang-related. No arrests have been made. Motive: Gangs. Method: Shooting.
29. MIDVALE, Oct. 15 — David Woodrow Brown, 47, was killed at his apartment, 584 E. Carmel Drive (7400 South), after being beaten on the back of his head with a garden tool and fists and then pushed down a flight of stairs. Woodrow's roommate, Christopher Wiggins, was charged with murder. The two reportedly were arguing about missing property. Alleged motive: Anger. Method: Blunt force.
30. TAYLORSVILLE, Nov. 5 — Anthony Fili, 35, was shot at least once in the chest at his apartment, 5624 S. 1900 West. Rodney Amato Liti, 32, was charged with murder, aggravated robbery and obstructing justice, among other things. Earlier in the day, police say Fili had been driving Liti's car and received several text messages from Liti saying he was going to "blast" him and the woman he was with. When police arrested Liti, he was also in possession of methamphetamine. Alleged motive: Unknown. Method: Shooting.
31. MIDVALE, Nov. 4 — Katherine Elizabeth Head, 46, was shot and killed by her husband, Robert Milton Head, 56, in a murder-suicide. The couple's bodies were found in an apartment near 7400 S. State after Elizabeth Head's mother called and asked a maintenance worker to check on her daughter whom she hadn't heard from in some time. Motive: Unknown. Method: Shooting.
32. MORGAN, Nov. 17 — Marilee Wadman, 41, and her husband, Grant Wadman, 57, were found dead in the living room of their home at 389 W. Hardscrabble Road of apparent gunshot wounds. Police determined it was a murder-suicide and that Grant Wadman had killed Marilee Wadman before turning the gun on himself. The couple had a history of domestic violence. Merilee had been convicted of assaulting her husband in 2010 but he did not want to testify against her. Motive: Domestic. Method: Shooting.
33. MILLCREEK, Dec. 11 — Tommy Varner, 35, was shot to death in the parking lot of the Murray Ridge Apartments, 440 E. 4100 South. Peter Almanza, 27, was charged with murder, obstruction of justice and distribution of a controlled substance in connection with the death. Investigators believe Varner was shot to death during a drug deal gone bad with Almanza. Alleged motive: Drugs. Method: Shooting.
34. OGDEN, Dec. 14 — Kennedy Lucille Marshall, 3 months, was found in "medical duress" in a home on the 2600 block of Van Buren Avenue. She died later that day. Jeremy David Marshall, 35, the baby's stepfather, was charged with aggravated murder. Police say he told family members he had struck the child's head in the crib with substantial force but it was "accidental." Alleged motive: Child abuse. Method: Assault.
35. WEST VALLEY CITY, Dec. 15 — Hairam Balbuena Torres, 24, was found shot to death inside a vehicle parked at an LDS Church at 4270 S. 4145 West. Anthony Corona and Eddie Garza, both 20, Christian Lizarzaburu, 32, and Lucinda Fernandez, 27, were charged with murder and aggravated robbery in connection with the death. Corona was believed by police to be the trigger-man. The man reportedly had set up Torres to rob him, possibly during a drug deal. Alleged motive: Robbery. Method: Shooting.
36. MURRAY, Dec. 19 — Alecia Sherman, 45, died four days after she fled from the home she shared with her boyfriend, Daniel Jay Folsom, 49. She appeared to be "severely beaten" and told the neighbor Folsom was "out of control." She lost consciousness soon after and never regained it. Folsom was originally charged with attempted murder, but the charge was upgraded to murder after Sherman died. Alleged motive: Domestic. Method: Beating.
37. SALT LAKE CITY, Dec. 26 — German Rodriguez-Torres, 49, was shot to death early in the morning near 550 West and 100 South. The man's body was found less than a block from Gateway shopping center. There was blood at the scene but no gun was found. Police have not yet obtained information on a possible suspect or motive. Motive: Unknown. Method: Shooting.
- 2 homes, 3 other buildings damaged in...
- How new technology is reshaping pacemakers
- Why Pioneer Day is so important to Utahns
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah...
- Too many boaters not stopping for quagga...
- Jordan board calls for special bond election...
- Family of slain man who killed police K9...
- Crash launches engine 100 feet, but seat belt...
- Utah delegates finally stand and cheer... 93
- Utah GOP delegates finally fired up... 74
- Friction over Trump between GOP, Utah... 64
- The day after: Lee defends Cruz at GOP... 30
- Should mountain biking be allowed in... 28
- Prosecutor rails on DOJ handling of... 18
- Local government board fostered... 16
- 2 charged in attack on gay men;... 14