18. SOUTH JORDAN, June 21 — Jana Lynn Irwin, 46, was shot and killed by her husband, Douglas Irwin, 51, before he shot himself and died two days later. Jana Irwin had filed for divorce the day before. The couple arrived at South Jordan City Park, 10950 S. Redwood Road, and were observed having a conversation under a pavilion. Witnesses said they did not notice any argument or red flags. But as they were walking back to their car, police say the husband shot his wife in the head and then shot himself. Two of Irwin's previous three wives had at one point filed for protective orders against him. Motive: Domestic. Method: Shooting.
19. WEST VALLEY CITY, June 28 — Cristina Matilde Trujillo, 41, was shot by Jose Rodriguez Osorio, 28, near the front entrance of La Azteca Indoor Bazaar Swap Meet, 3952 W. 3500 South. Osorio then turned the gun on himself, inflicting a fatal injury. Detectives believe Osorio went to the swap meet seeking out Trujillo. She was shot following a brief conversation. Friends said the two were only acquaintances but had had some friction leading up to the shooting. Motive: Unknown. Method: Shooting.
20. SALT LAKE CITY, July 6 — Emmett Schad, 27, of Taylorsville, was stabbed to death on a TRAX platform at 340 W. South Temple. Robert Earl Wallace, 45, and Moses Geng, 33, were both charged with murder. The two men reportedly believed Schad had stolen a bottle of vodka from them in Pioneer Park and went looking for him. Alleged motive: Revenge. Method: Stabbing.
21. OGDEN, July 13 — Tony Lamont Hairston, 42, a transient, was shot and killed on a front porch, 524 29th Street, where he frequented. No arrests have been made in the case. Motive: Unknown. Method: Shooting.
22. RICHFIELD, July 17 — James Lawton, 77, was found dead on the side of the road after an assault. His son, William Lawton, 30, was charged with aggravated murder. Originally, William Lawton called police claiming his father was attacked following a traffic accident. But investigators said the evidence pointed to the son. His mother told police her son came home with blood on his hands and police say William Lawton had "a history of violence against the victim." Alleged motive: Anger. Method: Beating.
23. SALINA, Sevier County, Aug. 3 — Tina Bates, 39, was shot and killed in a murder-suicide. Police said Bates and Tracy Hill, 50, had been dating for several years, but had recently broken up. Bates' teenage son was also confronted by Hill following the shooting at 289 N. 100 East, but he managed to escape and call 911. Motive: Unknown. Method: Shooting.
24. WEST VALLEY CITY, Aug. 9 — George Davila, 24, was stabbed inside a Kohl's store at 3031 S. 5600 West and died the next day. Jose Angel Gonzales, 21, was charged with murder. Police believe the incident started when Davila reportedly made derogatory remarks about Gonzales' rival gang Dog Town. Alleged motive: Anger, gangs. Method: Stabbing.
25. DUCHESNE, Aug. 13 — Mary W. Ratliffe, 82, was found stabbed to death in her home at 67 W. 300 South. Her husband, Charles Dodd, 75, was found unresponsive in a chair with a stab wound in his chest. He later recovered and was charged with murder. Police investigated the scene as a possible murder-suicide attempt. Dodd told police his wife was "in constant pain, and they had talked about 'ending it' on numerous occasions." A note at the scene said he feared someone would take his wife away from him because of a recent injury to his head. A competency evaluation has been requested. Alleged motive: Murder-suicide attempt. Method: Stabbing.
26. ROY, Sept. 9 — The body of Hailey Byrne, 2, was found at 1962 W. 4700 South. The girl's stepfather, Robert Glen Abbott, was charged with child abuse homicide in the girl's death. The victim's sister told police she saw her stepfather push the little girl's face into a pillow for several times over the course of a couple of minutes in an effort to stop her from crying. Alleged motive: Frustration, abuse. Method: Asphyxiation.
27. MURRAY, Sept. 24 — Kaysen Calhoun, 4 months, was hospitalized after being violently shaken and died after being taken off life support two days later. Jennifer Duran Martinez, 35, the boy's baby-sitter, told police she became "frustrated and stressed" when Calhoun would not stop crying. She was charged with murder for allegedly shaking the boy "violently." Alleged motive: Frustration. Method: Shaking.
- 5 places your money might be hiding
- Top 7 money-saving tips for summer travel
- Ballet West artists prepare original works...
- Drug deal messages pop up on tablet parents...
- YouTube star Stuart Edge hopes to inspire...
- Former Springville High student arrested for...
- Two suffer minor injuries in gyrocopter crash...
- Intermountain Healthcare taps new CEO
- Utah man held 1,164 days in jail... 37
- 'Dirty soda' lawsuit calls shop's... 22
- Former Utah Gov. Mike Leavitt advising... 20
- Lightning damages Angel Moroni statue... 19
- Herbert says Sec. Jewell offered... 17
- National conservative group backs... 17
- Are you willing to pay a fee to use... 16
- Sutherland Institute looks to broaden... 15