10. DRAPER, April 27 — Utah State Prison inmate Alfonso Lopez, 27, died as a result of massive internal bleeding after being beaten and stomped on. His cellmate, Jacob Ecker, was charged with murdering him during an argument. Ecker later told investigators that he "let loose" on Lopez and that he was sadistic and enjoyed watching Lopez suffer. Alleged motive: Anger. Method: Beating.
11. SALT LAKE CITY, April 29 — Jennifer Schubach, 39, was strangled to death in a residence at 532 N. 200 West. Her boyfriend, Todd Eugene Anderson, was charged with murder. Police say he told them he choked her because he "wanted to shut her up." Alleged motive: Anger. Method: Strangulation, amphetamines.
12. WEST VALLEY CITY, May 4 — Carter Andus, a 4-month-old baby boy, died after approximately two weeks in the hospital. The baby boy’s father, Jeremy Wade Andus, 19, was charged with murder and possession of drug paraphernalia. Carter apparently had two serious head injuries and internal injuries. Andus told police a dog ran past him on his way out of the house, knocking the car seat he was carrying at the time to the ground, injuring the baby. Police say his story doesn’t match the injuries. Alleged motive: Child abuse. Method: Shaking, blunt force.
13. SALT LAKE CITY, May 5 — Jorge Veracruz, 29, was shot three times in broad daylight in Riverside Park near 700 North and 1400 West while hundreds were attending nearby baseball games. Bystanders tackled Francisco Alverez on a bicycle and he was charged with murder. Witnesses said the two had been fighting. Alvarez told police Veracruz tried to rob him. Alvarez had previously served time for a 1979 murder conviction in Ogden. Alleged motive: Anger. Method: Shooting.
14. MILLCREEK, May 5 — Police were called to the apartment of Angela Michelle Jenkins, 44, at 2230 E. 3300 South on a medical call and found the woman dead. Police say she was beaten to death and may have been assaulted for 10 hours before she died. Her boyfriend, James Rafael Sanchez, 24, was charged with murder. Alleged motive: Anger. Method: Beating, strangling.
15. PROVO, May 17 — Andy Purcell, 32, was found dead with a gunshot wound to the head on the porch of his home at 541 S. 300 East in what police believe was a contract killing. Yuri Sanchez Lara, 32, Danny Logue, 45, and Darrell Morris, 38, are charged with aggravated murder. Robin Jackson, 36, and Joshua Ian Stansbury, 37, are charged with obstructing justice. An informant told police that one man ordered the shooting after Purcell told police about a cache of drugs. Investigators said Lara contacted Morris and ordered an assault on Purcell; in return, Lara would pay Morris with meth. A confidential informant told police that Lara believed Purcell had provided officers with information that resulted in meth being found in a storage unit Lara had in Orem. Alleged motive: Revenge. Method: Shooting.
16. SALT LAKE CITY, May 27 — The body of Jessica Jensen, 25, was discovered beneath a mattress at the Capitol Motel, 1749 S. State, after an employee reported a foul smell coming from the room. She had been stabbed 15 times in the back. Thomas Kumalac was charged with murder. Police say he told them he'd had thoughts about harming people since he was 9 or 10 and was "fueled by the movies he watched," particularly the horror film "Hostel." He allegedly used a knife he had earlier given Jensen for protection. Alleged motive: Unknown. Method: Stabbing.
17. LAPOINT, Uintah County, June 18 — James Edward Carey, 25, was shot and killed during a dispute between two groups. Bruce Silva, 23, was later identified as the alleged gunman. Silva is one of seven people charged in connection with the crime, including three of Silva's brothers, Adrian Silva, 23; Alberto Silva Jr., 19; and Kevin Silva, 20; Bruce Silva's girlfriend Shadow Reed, 23; another woman, Teaunna Cesspooch, 19; and Colin Rian Manning, 24. They are all facing charges of murder, among other things. Bruce Silva reportedly thought someone had vandalized his car and was going with a group to a home just to scare people. Alleged motive: Revenge. Method: Shooting.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Police shoot, critically injure 'prime...
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 39
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 34
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Rep. Love hosts poverty discussion with... 18
- History-making transgender U.S. Senate... 14
- How the tech industry grew a rural Utah... 13