"100 FAVORITE VERSES FROM THE BOOK OF MORMON," by Shauna Humphries, Covenant Communications, $17.99, 200 pages (nf)
Readers of the Book of Mormon more than likely have their favorite passages underlined, highlighted or asterisked to review from time to time. Chances are many, if not all, of your favorite verses can be found in the book, “100 Favorite Verses From the Book of Mormon” by Shauna Humphries.
Humphries has put together a beautiful collection of favorite verses and categorized them into topics, such as obedience, achieving perfection and spiritual prosperity. Each verse and topic is covered in a two-page devotional that delves deeper into the verse's meaning and personal application.
The book “100 Favorite Verses From the Book of Mormon” is comfort food for the soul. Readers will be delighted as they read and ponder over the scriptural devotionals included in this book. Humphries' love and understanding of the scriptures shines through. It is also an excellent companion to daily scripture study.
This would be recommended for the student who has read the Book of Mormon quite a few times. The feeling that this book evokes is one of nostalgia. It is not filled with instruction, but rather a reminder of why the selected verse is revered and encouragement to live out its meaning.
The one disappointment is that the book does not include a topical index.
The book is about 200 pages in faux leather-bound binding with an attached ribbon bookmark. In lieu of an index, readers can use the bookmark to reference favorite passages.
Tequitia Andrews has written about parenting and family issues for several newspapers, magazines and websites.
- 'Attitude of gratitude': 25 quotes from LDS...
- Capturing 'Mormon Faces': LDS mother,...
- Mormon creator of 'Battlestar Galactica'...
- Be thankful — there's a theology of...
- Reader voices: I'm trying to be a Mormon
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat
- The Clean Cut: A cappella group's take on...
- Jabari Parker posts photo of himself with LDS...
- In the Whirled: The good Mormon Democrat 99
- At the Vatican, President Eyring says... 89
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Defending the Faith: A note on the... 34
- Faith leaders leave Vatican with high... 33
- Pastors opposed to same-sex marriage... 28
- Q&A with President Henry B. Eyring,... 22
- LDS Church releases renderings of final... 16