"REARVIEW MIRROR," by Stephanie Black, Covenant Communications, $17.99, 316 pages (f)
Stephanie Black, the author of "Rearview Mirror," is originally from Utah but has lived in various places and currently resides in Northern California. The novel is set on the East Coast, but has ties to Utah through the characters' association with Brigham Young University.
"Rearview Mirror" introduces readers to complex characters who all seem to have pasts that haunt them. The main character, Fiona Claridge, had been in a car accident that left herself with scars, guilt and the death of a good friend. In addition, Fiona has proven herself a heartbreaker and is generally struggling to maintain a sense of balance in her life.
Readers sympathize with Fiona's heartache while waiting to see if there is something more to the story — a secret that we should know about Fiona. From the first introduction, the characters' backgrounds are captivating. As readers continue, the stories weave together and bring out surprising villains and victims.
During this "Mormon Moment," the world is reminded that Mormons are all around us. While there is no doubt the book is captivating, the subtle reminders that the characters were Mormon seemed unnecessary.
"Rearview Mirror" is dramatic, suspenseful and a bit dark, and makes for a great read. However, aligning that with subtle reminders of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints could be uncomfortable for some.
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in theaters...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with newly...
- 10 religious leaders you may not know about
- Famous Mormons featured in new BYU commercial
- A conversation with Mormon convert and 7-time...
- Mormon neighbors help Catholic nuns with...
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies inspired...
- Over half a million people attended Ogden...
- Ask Angela: Fiancee struggles with... 38
- Americans link violence with Muslims,... 13
- A conversation with Mormon convert and... 9
- New Utah rabbi hopes to 'perfect the... 5
- 6 science-fiction and fantasy movies... 5
- How to get 'Meet the Mormons' in... 4
- Over half a million people attended... 4
- 5 unusual places of worship 4