Ravell Call, Deseret News
SALT LAKE CITY — The cost of heating a home in Utah could fall this winter.
Questar Gas Thursday asked the Public Service Commission of Utah to reduce natural gas rates by $770,000. If approved, the rate cut will lower the typical homeowner’s annual bill by 61 cents per year beginning Feb. 1, 2012.
“We actually had some system-enhancement cost increases this year, but when we combine them with decreases in our conservation-program costs, the end result is a decrease in our overall rates,” said Questar Gas Senior Vice President Craig Wagstaff. He added, however, that natural gas prices can fluctuate with changes in supply and demand.
Questar is also reminding customers that funds may be available to help those in need. Utah’s Home Energy Assistance Target program assists low-income individuals and families in paying their utility bills. In addition, Questar's Residential Energy Assistance through Community Help program also assists income-eligible customers who are elderly or disabled to pay their natural gas bills.
REACH is funded by voluntary donations from Questar Gas customers, employees and shareholders. The program runs year-round or until funds are exhausted. For information about these and other assistance programs, dial 211.
Applications for REACH funds may be obtained by calling the American Red Cross of Utah.
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over, West...
- S.L. draws up airport plans
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah Scout...
- Warrants issued for 3 suspects in beating...
- Couples registry gets preliminary nod from...
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet, passes away
- 'Mantiques' could be a ticket to more cash
- Father vows to keep looking for Susan Cox Powell
- Frances Monson, wife of LDS prophet,... 66
- Mia Love announces she's officially... 42
- GOP delegates reject changes to... 31
- S.L. draws up airport plans 30
- XanGo co-founder accuses partners of... 23
- Search for Susan Cox Powell is over,... 20
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 19
- Gov. Gary Herbert tells Washington... 14