MORAGA, Calif. — In front of a capacity crowd equally divided in its team loyalties, BYU trails St. Mary's, 53-43, at the half Thursday night. The Gaels used 7-of-13 shooting from 3-point range and hit 14-of-16 free throws to build their lead.
BYU hit just 2-of-3 from the charity stripe in the half.
The teams traded baskets for the first seven minutes of the game, which led to a 9-9 tie at the 13:48 mark. Noah Hartsock led the way for the Cougars with seven of the team’s first nine points.
BYU gained a little breathing room to lead 18-15 with 10 minutes left in the half before the Gaels came storming back to build a 30-23 just after the 7:30-minute mark of the half. Jorden Page, who knocked down consecutive 3-pointers, fueled the Gaels' 15-5 scoring run.
St. Mary's maintained a seven-point margin at 4:51 mark before two consecutive Charles Abouo baskets, including a 3-pointer, pulled the Cougars to within two points at 38-36.
From that point it was all St. Mary's. The Gaels used a 15-7 to end the half to capture all of the momentum at the break.
Freshman point guard Matt Carlino struggled with his game throughout the half, and was subsequently subbed-out on three different occasions by BYU coach Dave Rose. Carlino finished the half with two points on 1-of-7 shooting from the field.
Stephen Holt led the Gaels with 16 points and 4-of-5 shooting from 3-point range, while Brandon Davies led BYU with 15 points.
- Jimmer Fredette on defense: 'You have to have...
- Red and Blue Recruits: The evaluation process...
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed as...
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as Utes'...
- Utah Jazz point guard Trey Burke getting an...
- Reeling Cougars 'starving for some redemption'
- Watch it live: 4A girls soccer semifinals
- The Heisman Trophy tracker, Week 8: A Utah...
- Nevada rallies to beat BYU, 42-35 68
- Dick Harmon: BYU amasses yards but... 49
- Mired in 3-game losing streak, BYU... 49
- Dick Harmon: Even more urgency needed... 48
- FBS football coaches vote BYU most... 39
- Travis Wilson back in the saddle as... 29
- Brad Rock: Utes have their star in... 28
- College football: Utah rises to No. 19... 26