MORAGA, Calif. — In front of a capacity crowd equally divided in its team loyalties, BYU trails St. Mary's, 53-43, at the half Thursday night. The Gaels used 7-of-13 shooting from 3-point range and hit 14-of-16 free throws to build their lead.
BYU hit just 2-of-3 from the charity stripe in the half.
The teams traded baskets for the first seven minutes of the game, which led to a 9-9 tie at the 13:48 mark. Noah Hartsock led the way for the Cougars with seven of the team’s first nine points.
BYU gained a little breathing room to lead 18-15 with 10 minutes left in the half before the Gaels came storming back to build a 30-23 just after the 7:30-minute mark of the half. Jorden Page, who knocked down consecutive 3-pointers, fueled the Gaels' 15-5 scoring run.
St. Mary's maintained a seven-point margin at 4:51 mark before two consecutive Charles Abouo baskets, including a 3-pointer, pulled the Cougars to within two points at 38-36.
From that point it was all St. Mary's. The Gaels used a 15-7 to end the half to capture all of the momentum at the break.
Freshman point guard Matt Carlino struggled with his game throughout the half, and was subsequently subbed-out on three different occasions by BYU coach Dave Rose. Carlino finished the half with two points on 1-of-7 shooting from the field.
Stephen Holt led the Gaels with 16 points and 4-of-5 shooting from 3-point range, while Brandon Davies led BYU with 15 points.
- Roger Federer says he is out for Olympics,...
- Mickelson not close to being over runner-up...
- College Football Playoff moves most future...
- Olympic organizers suspect 'isolated'...
- Cavaliers re-sign veteran forward Richard...
- Jimmy Walker opens with 65 at stifling PGA;...
- Akpom scores deciding goal as Arsenal tops...
- Streb shoots 63 and joins Walker in lead at PGA
- Morning links: BYU's Emery called one... 64
- Big 12 watch: Is BYU the long-term... 58
- Big 12 watch: BYU praised for 'excited'... 57
- Doug Robinson: It's still Hill's time... 52
- Morning links: Utah Jazz on the rise;... 37
- Big 12 watch: BYU's success in football... 35
- Former BYU coach Bronco Mendenhall says... 26
- Former Utah punter Tom Hackett waived... 20