One year left in I-15 CORE project through Utah County
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
LEHI — Let the countdown begin. There's just one year to go before the I-15 CORE project through Utah County is finished.
"Our crews have worked at a very aggressive pace," said Mindy Nelson, a public involvement manager for the Utah Department of Transportation.
So far, UDOT reports, those crews have put in 4.5 million hours, doing everything from excavating more than 6 million tons of dirt to pouring nearly 250 miles of concrete pavement.
UDOT is on schedule to complete the $1.7 billion reconstruction of the freeway from Lehi to Spanish Fork in 35 months, she said.
"We want to let everyone know we have only a year left on this project," Nelson said. "However, we still do have a lot of work to do."
That work includes completing two bridges at 100 East and 300 West in American Fork; reconstructing interchanges at 1600 North, 800 North and Center Street in Orem; finishing the Provo Center Street interchange; and widening U.S. 6 from I-15 to 1000 North in Spanish Fork.
New pedestrian crossings under the freeway are also being built near Utah Valley University. One will be west of the campus under the northbound University Parkway on-ramp and the other, under University Parkway at Sandhill Road.
Nelson said the good news for drivers right now is that the newly poured sections of the freeway should "really help with winter driving conditions this year."
And she said the portion of the project between Lehi and Lindon should be fully open by next summer. Drivers can sign up for construction updates at I15core.utah.gov. Smartphone apps are also available.
"When the I-15 CORE is finished," Nelson said, "business and transportation for everyone in the state will be better."
Contributing: Sam Penrod
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church property...
- About Utah: Selling bikes the new-fashioned way
- 2016 Sterling Scholar candidates
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences' for teen...
- Police ID man who barricaded himself in motor...
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile offenders...
- Long-awaited Jeremy Johnson fraud trial kicks...
- Ex-social worker to plead guilty to sex with...
- Supporters of Oregon occupier honor... 55
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 36
- Feds say Orem man duped hundreds of... 28
- Meagan Grunwald won't get a new trial... 25
- Paradigm shift: Fewer Utah juvenile... 18
- Woman killed by mixer at Sandy grocery... 16
- Video involving officer whose ear was... 15
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 12