One year left in I-15 CORE project through Utah County
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
LEHI — Let the countdown begin. There's just one year to go before the I-15 CORE project through Utah County is finished.
"Our crews have worked at a very aggressive pace," said Mindy Nelson, a public involvement manager for the Utah Department of Transportation.
So far, UDOT reports, those crews have put in 4.5 million hours, doing everything from excavating more than 6 million tons of dirt to pouring nearly 250 miles of concrete pavement.
UDOT is on schedule to complete the $1.7 billion reconstruction of the freeway from Lehi to Spanish Fork in 35 months, she said.
"We want to let everyone know we have only a year left on this project," Nelson said. "However, we still do have a lot of work to do."
That work includes completing two bridges at 100 East and 300 West in American Fork; reconstructing interchanges at 1600 North, 800 North and Center Street in Orem; finishing the Provo Center Street interchange; and widening U.S. 6 from I-15 to 1000 North in Spanish Fork.
New pedestrian crossings under the freeway are also being built near Utah Valley University. One will be west of the campus under the northbound University Parkway on-ramp and the other, under University Parkway at Sandhill Road.
Nelson said the good news for drivers right now is that the newly poured sections of the freeway should "really help with winter driving conditions this year."
And she said the portion of the project between Lehi and Lindon should be fully open by next summer. Drivers can sign up for construction updates at I15core.utah.gov. Smartphone apps are also available.
"When the I-15 CORE is finished," Nelson said, "business and transportation for everyone in the state will be better."
Contributing: Sam Penrod
- Draper house explodes into flames,...
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Deseret News Classic: Marathon, half...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Habitual offender arrested in alleged...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 16
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- Student attitudes changing on healthy... 13