One year left in I-15 CORE project through Utah County
Laura Seitz, Deseret News
LEHI — Let the countdown begin. There's just one year to go before the I-15 CORE project through Utah County is finished.
"Our crews have worked at a very aggressive pace," said Mindy Nelson, a public involvement manager for the Utah Department of Transportation.
So far, UDOT reports, those crews have put in 4.5 million hours, doing everything from excavating more than 6 million tons of dirt to pouring nearly 250 miles of concrete pavement.
UDOT is on schedule to complete the $1.7 billion reconstruction of the freeway from Lehi to Spanish Fork in 35 months, she said.
"We want to let everyone know we have only a year left on this project," Nelson said. "However, we still do have a lot of work to do."
That work includes completing two bridges at 100 East and 300 West in American Fork; reconstructing interchanges at 1600 North, 800 North and Center Street in Orem; finishing the Provo Center Street interchange; and widening U.S. 6 from I-15 to 1000 North in Spanish Fork.
New pedestrian crossings under the freeway are also being built near Utah Valley University. One will be west of the campus under the northbound University Parkway on-ramp and the other, under University Parkway at Sandhill Road.
Nelson said the good news for drivers right now is that the newly poured sections of the freeway should "really help with winter driving conditions this year."
And she said the portion of the project between Lehi and Lindon should be fully open by next summer. Drivers can sign up for construction updates at I15core.utah.gov. Smartphone apps are also available.
"When the I-15 CORE is finished," Nelson said, "business and transportation for everyone in the state will be better."
Contributing: Sam Penrod
- LDS missionary critically injured in Oklahoma...
- Salt Lake officer captured Dillon Taylor...
- Water levels in Great Salt Lake approach...
- Utah County teen made 'swatting' threats...
- House Speaker Becky Lockhart is running for...
- Stranger donates vehicle to Bountiful...
- Salem man found guilty in 2013 shooting death...
- Odyssey Elementary opens doors for...
- Poll: Utahns willing to fight for... 58
- Utah argues for more time to file... 41
- Utah claims top ACT scores for second year 34
- Government regulation has become like... 31
- Lunch manager on leave after diabetic... 28
- State asks for more time to file appeal... 24
- Poll: Majority of Utahns in favor of... 22
- Jay Evensen: Is Provo really an... 22