Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
PROVO — Junior Carlee Payne of the BYU women's soccer team was named to the Scholar All-America Third Team for her excellence in the classroom and on the field, throughout the 2011 season.
She was the only women's soccer player from the West Coast Conference included on any of the three teams.
As a starting forward, Payne led the team with 34 shots while contributing the second-most goals on the team and nine assists. The five goals Payne added this season put her at 11th place on BYU's all-time career goals leaderboard.
Payne helped lead the team to an 11-5-3 season record and a 5-2-1 conference record in its first year with the WCC.
Also included in Payne's postseason honors is an All-West Region Second Team award, an All-Conference Academic award and an All-WCC Second Team ward.
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars looms...
- BYU falls to Memphis 55-48 in double overtime...
- BYU-Memphis an 'intriguing' bowl matchup
- Gordon Hayward happy to be moving on with...
- Brad Rock: This is where conference switch...
- Tyler Haws scores 24 as BYU holds off Stanford
- Cougars gain a lot over Final Four weekend...
- Utes capped comeback season with lopsided Las...
- BYU falls to Memphis 55-48 in double... 91
- Big winner: Utes hit jackpot early and... 55
- Hamson and Gray step up big to get BYU... 45
- Brad Rock: This is where conference... 36
- Dick Harmon: How a simple decision in... 35
- Ute football team has boots on the... 33
- Ranking the biggest bowl games in... 28
- Dick Harmon: Presence of injured stars... 26