This week, Brower obtained copies of purported revelations and prophesies attributed to Jeffs in November. They say, among other things, "I am soon to cleanse all nations. … Let this be as a final warning."
Brower said the message seems to focus on Jeffs' imprisonment.
"The end is coming," Brower paraphrased the documents, "and unless they let God's servant, Warren, free, everybody will be punished. The people of the Earth will be punished."
Wyler said many members of his former church take such statements literally.
"These people honestly believe that the end is here and that everybody's going to be destroyed within the next few days," he said.
Wyler had an encounter Tuesday that underlines rising tensions in the FLDS community.
He said he was delivering notices of unpaid property taxes to many FLDS residences on behalf of a court-appointed fiduciary whose authority is not accepted by FLDS leaders. As he went through the community posting the notices, Wyler said he was attacked by "FLDS teens throwing rocks."
Wyler said he called police, even though no one was hurt.
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite...
- Graphic video shows 7 shots fired without...
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch
- Judge orders girl to stand trial for...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration
- Appeals judges question right to sue in...
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 105
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 80
- 7 dead babies found in Pleasant Grove... 75
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 63
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 43
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 37
- Doug Robinson: The first kiss and the... 24
- Mom accused of killing 6 newborns held... 24