A year ago, Critchfield was arrested by a Salt Lake City SWAT team in a similar kidnapping incident involving the same victim. He pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and obstruction of justice charges. A judge sentenced Critchfield to a prison term of five years, but suspended the punishment for a 120-day jail term and three years of probation.
In the latest incident,Critchfield was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail Saturday for investigation of aggravated kidnapping, forcible sodomy, aggravated assault, domestic violence, child abuse, animal cruelty and other charges.
The potential animal cruelty charge is because police say he would not allow the victim to feed her dog during the four- or five-day ordeal.
Utah court records show that in December 2010, Critchfield pleaded guilty to felony aggravated assault and obstruction of justice charges in connection with a domestic violence incident. A judge sentenced Critchfield to a prison term of five years, but suspended the punishment for a 120-day jail term and three years of probation.
For those who played a role in the internet rescue, the grim holiday story had a happy ending.
"I'm a grinch," Carver said. "A big grinch. I hate Christmas. But it was Christmas Eve and she was safe and it made me feel really good."
Contributing: Associated Press
- Parents remember child, 6, who died days...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- Caucus meetings this week give public a...
- Woman critically injured after an explosion...
- Bill passed by Legislature may mean Utah...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- About Utah: The flood is gone, but great...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in...
- Parties have now finalized arguments in... 83
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 76
- British judge hears arguments in case... 75
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 40
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 36
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations... 35
- BYU chemist makes breakthrough... 29
- Can House speaker be a 'real fighter'... 29