A year ago, Critchfield was arrested by a Salt Lake City SWAT team in a similar kidnapping incident involving the same victim. He pleaded guilty to aggravated assault and obstruction of justice charges. A judge sentenced Critchfield to a prison term of five years, but suspended the punishment for a 120-day jail term and three years of probation.
In the latest incident,Critchfield was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail Saturday for investigation of aggravated kidnapping, forcible sodomy, aggravated assault, domestic violence, child abuse, animal cruelty and other charges.
The potential animal cruelty charge is because police say he would not allow the victim to feed her dog during the four- or five-day ordeal.
Utah court records show that in December 2010, Critchfield pleaded guilty to felony aggravated assault and obstruction of justice charges in connection with a domestic violence incident. A judge sentenced Critchfield to a prison term of five years, but suspended the punishment for a 120-day jail term and three years of probation.
For those who played a role in the internet rescue, the grim holiday story had a happy ending.
"I'm a grinch," Carver said. "A big grinch. I hate Christmas. But it was Christmas Eve and she was safe and it made me feel really good."
Contributing: Associated Press
- Boulder slams into Rockville home, killing two
- Lost recording of an interview with 1867...
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in ongoing...
- Many Mormon missionaries who return home...
- National Weather Service radar mistakes swans...
- Orangeville couple killed in head-on crash
- Passerby was mistakenly used as translator in...
- Ex-nurse accused of sexually abusing,...
- Pay increase for Gov. Herbert, other... 67
- Legal analysis supports Utah's law on... 38
- Do Utah high school students need four... 32
- Supervolcano hidden in plain sight in... 20
- Charges filed against 'fixer' in... 20
- Young adults are faced with risky... 16
- Rare snowstorm traps I-15 motorists... 14
- Better than a raise: The smallest thing... 11