Rep. Jim Matheson leads all comers in Utah's new 4th Congressional District, poll shows
Incumbency has its early privileges in new district
Cobb, a former Sen. Bob Bennett staffer, wasn't surprised at his showing because he just started campaigning Dec. 1. He said he's focused right now on making a name with Republican delegates.
Matheson, meanwhile, enjoys high name recognition for better or worse — mostly better. The polls shows 99 percent of voters know him, with 64 percent having a favorable impression and 26 percent an unfavorable impression.
Sandstrom and Wimmer fall somewhere between the extremes.
Though Sandstrom gained notoriety for spearheading Utah's controversial enforcement-only illegal immigration law, 39 percent of voters in the 4th District don't know who he is. Of those who have heard of him, 20 percent have a favorable impression, 15 percent an unfavorable impression and 23 percent no opinion.
"I think once people really get to know me, a lot of that is going to change," he said.
Sandstrom explained that he plans to use multimedia, mailers and community meeting to get his name out.
Wimmer, a Patrick Henry caucus member who has pushed abortion restrictions and easing gun laws, does slightly better than his legislative colleague in terms of name recognition, but has a higher negative rating.
The poll shows 32 percent have not heard of him. Among those who know him, 22 percent have an unfavorable impression, 19 percent a favorable impression and 24 percent no opinion.
"That's a good thing," he said of the 65 percent name recognition regardless of the respondents' opinion of him. "That's much higher than I would have thought."
Wimmer said he plans to hold lots of cottage meetings to spread his name among the electorate.
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in...
- Bluffdale homeowner becomes victim of...
- Bear spends two hours trying to enter...
- After tragedy, couple uses genetic screening...
- Doug Robinson: Looking back on a cop's career
- Solar energy users claim victory as 'sun tax'...
- Man, 69, missing after his boat capsizes in...
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns Utahns of...
- EX-BYU quarterback Max Hall arrested in... 76
- Becky Lockhart serious about... 32
- Police reviewing possible nightclub... 16
- Solar energy users claim victory as... 14
- U. tailgating carries tradition of... 11
- Lessons from Napa: Earthquake warns... 10
- Circleville farmers scratching their... 8
- Kennecott hopes project will change... 7