Rep. Jim Matheson leads all comers in Utah's new 4th Congressional District, poll shows
Incumbency has its early privileges in new district
Cobb, a former Sen. Bob Bennett staffer, wasn't surprised at his showing because he just started campaigning Dec. 1. He said he's focused right now on making a name with Republican delegates.
Matheson, meanwhile, enjoys high name recognition for better or worse — mostly better. The polls shows 99 percent of voters know him, with 64 percent having a favorable impression and 26 percent an unfavorable impression.
Sandstrom and Wimmer fall somewhere between the extremes.
Though Sandstrom gained notoriety for spearheading Utah's controversial enforcement-only illegal immigration law, 39 percent of voters in the 4th District don't know who he is. Of those who have heard of him, 20 percent have a favorable impression, 15 percent an unfavorable impression and 23 percent no opinion.
"I think once people really get to know me, a lot of that is going to change," he said.
Sandstrom explained that he plans to use multimedia, mailers and community meeting to get his name out.
Wimmer, a Patrick Henry caucus member who has pushed abortion restrictions and easing gun laws, does slightly better than his legislative colleague in terms of name recognition, but has a higher negative rating.
The poll shows 32 percent have not heard of him. Among those who know him, 22 percent have an unfavorable impression, 19 percent a favorable impression and 24 percent no opinion.
"That's a good thing," he said of the 65 percent name recognition regardless of the respondents' opinion of him. "That's much higher than I would have thought."
Wimmer said he plans to hold lots of cottage meetings to spread his name among the electorate.
- Bingham High students walk out over dress code
- President Monson rededicates Ogden Utah Temple
- Mourning family of Mormon missionary finds...
- Little Emmanuel's journey home a tale of...
- The ghosts under our feet: 88...
- Mountain lion caught in Foothill neighborhood...
- About Utah: Remembering the most brilliant...
- Mothers of kidnapped Bountiful girls speak out
- Supporters for traditional marriage... 164
- Pro same-sex marriage group responds to... 84
- Bingham High students walk out over... 46
- 5 reasons why Utah is a great place to... 38
- Police release names of officers... 37
- Poll: Utahns in favor of school... 20
- Mitt Romney to campaign for Mia Love in... 19
- Can Utah solve its surprising binge... 18