Rep. Jim Matheson leads all comers in Utah's new 4th Congressional District, poll shows
Incumbency has its early privileges in new district
Cobb, a former Sen. Bob Bennett staffer, wasn't surprised at his showing because he just started campaigning Dec. 1. He said he's focused right now on making a name with Republican delegates.
Matheson, meanwhile, enjoys high name recognition for better or worse — mostly better. The polls shows 99 percent of voters know him, with 64 percent having a favorable impression and 26 percent an unfavorable impression.
Sandstrom and Wimmer fall somewhere between the extremes.
Though Sandstrom gained notoriety for spearheading Utah's controversial enforcement-only illegal immigration law, 39 percent of voters in the 4th District don't know who he is. Of those who have heard of him, 20 percent have a favorable impression, 15 percent an unfavorable impression and 23 percent no opinion.
"I think once people really get to know me, a lot of that is going to change," he said.
Sandstrom explained that he plans to use multimedia, mailers and community meeting to get his name out.
Wimmer, a Patrick Henry caucus member who has pushed abortion restrictions and easing gun laws, does slightly better than his legislative colleague in terms of name recognition, but has a higher negative rating.
The poll shows 32 percent have not heard of him. Among those who know him, 22 percent have an unfavorable impression, 19 percent a favorable impression and 24 percent no opinion.
"That's a good thing," he said of the 65 percent name recognition regardless of the respondents' opinion of him. "That's much higher than I would have thought."
Wimmer said he plans to hold lots of cottage meetings to spread his name among the electorate.
- Parties have now finalized arguments in...
- British judge hears arguments in case LDS...
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in Micronesia
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations against...
- Can House speaker be a 'real fighter' in...
- Parents remember child, 6, who died days...
- 25-year-old man dies after losing control of...
- Teen with traumatic brain injury making...
- Utah recognition of same-sex marriage... 73
- Parties have now finalized arguments in... 61
- British judge hears arguments in case... 51
- LDS missionary from Utah dies in... 41
- Cyclists killed in early morning crash... 36
- Utah prosecutors forward allegations... 34
- House report: John Swallow hung 'for... 32
- New BYU president: Kevin Worthen to... 29