Kristin Murphy, Deseret News
Former "American Idol" runner-up and Utah native David Archuleta announced Monday night his intention to serve a two-year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
The reaction on the Internet has been enormous.
Most of the articles describe the joyous reaction of the Salt Lake City audience and quote Archuleta's reasoning for going.
"It's not because someone told me I was supposed to do it and not because I no longer want to do music anymore," Archuleta said. "It's what I feel I need to do next in my life."
User comments vary, of course, but many readers on each of these sites are supportive of the singing star taking a break from show biz to dedicate the time to his faith.
- Katie Couric interviews Mormon mom from Cute...
- Provo's waffle truck started by a motivated...
- Mormon couple celebrates 75 years of true love
- When Mormon pioneers left was often a...
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11 museum,...
- New report says 2013 was 'the largest...
- Local Muslims end Ramadan with celebration
- Wright Words: Bad days are inevitable —...
- Hamblin & Peterson: Constantine's... 24
- After government topples crosses in... 19
- 66,511 volunteers set FamilySearch... 17
- What life was like for the Mormon... 16
- Carmen Rasmusen Herbert: Reba McEntire... 13
- Provo's waffle truck started by a... 10
- Thirty countries require leaders to... 5
- Ground Zero cross can stay at 9/11... 5