Utah Utes football: Utah signs JC running back prospect
FULLERTON, Calif. — Utah scored big in the junior college market a year ago in signing John White. Today they signed another top JC running back prospect in Kelvin York, with hopes that he'll bring a lot of the same play that White did.
York orginally had committed to sign with USC, but decommitted from the program earlier this month. It was reported that it was a two-horse race between Utah and Washington for his services, with York ultimately deciding on Utah following an official visit there.
York is a 5-foot-11, 225-pound prospect who hails from Geismar, La. He rushed for over 1,400 yards and 17 touchdowns as a freshman for Fullerton and subsequently received an offer from USC, his childhood favorite. After tearing his miniscus during the 2011 season, the calls and interest from USC fell off and he reopened his recruitment, utlimately deciding to sign with the Utes.
“I just really felt comfortable at Utah,” York told ESPN's Greg Biggins. “I have a good relationship with the running backs coach, Dave Schramm, and just felt a better connection at Utah with the entire coaching staff. It also felt like more of a family atmosphere to me, and that was one of the big things I was looking for."
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- 5A boys basketball tournament central: Live...
- Haws' teammates marvel at his BYU scoring record
- BYU basketball analysis: How the Cougars flew...
- 3A boys state tournament central: Live...
- Former BYU receiver Cody Hoffman signs 2-year...
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 91
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 83
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 59
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 49
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30
- Morning links: Examining BYU's at-large... 29