Utah Utes football: Utah signs JC running back prospect
FULLERTON, Calif. — Utah scored big in the junior college market a year ago in signing John White. Today they signed another top JC running back prospect in Kelvin York, with hopes that he'll bring a lot of the same play that White did.
York orginally had committed to sign with USC, but decommitted from the program earlier this month. It was reported that it was a two-horse race between Utah and Washington for his services, with York ultimately deciding on Utah following an official visit there.
York is a 5-foot-11, 225-pound prospect who hails from Geismar, La. He rushed for over 1,400 yards and 17 touchdowns as a freshman for Fullerton and subsequently received an offer from USC, his childhood favorite. After tearing his miniscus during the 2011 season, the calls and interest from USC fell off and he reopened his recruitment, utlimately deciding to sign with the Utes.
“I just really felt comfortable at Utah,” York told ESPN's Greg Biggins. “I have a good relationship with the running backs coach, Dave Schramm, and just felt a better connection at Utah with the entire coaching staff. It also felt like more of a family atmosphere to me, and that was one of the big things I was looking for."
- Questions aplenty as Utah Jazz begin training...
- Danny Ainge speaks about career, Mormon faith
- Heisman Trophy tracker, week 5: Taysom Hill...
- Dick Harmon: NFL's Goodell seeks out Ty...
- Ranking the starting point guards in the NBA...
- BYU football: LB commit Jeremiah Ieremia says...
- BYU players endured tougher-than-usual...
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured in-state game'
- Opportunity lost: Utes squander lead,... 291
- BYU takes advantage of the bye week,... 93
- Things won't get any easier for... 81
- For BYU, Utah State is 'featured... 57
- Brad Rock: Guaranteed wins don't exist... 54
- Quarterback Travis Wilson, Utes... 44
- Dick Harmon: Undefeated BYU is on... 39
- Mike Leach, the most interesting man in... 37