Woman investigated in teen's death waives unrelated drug hearing
OGDEN — A woman called a "person of interest" in the death of a North Ogden teen waived her right to a preliminary hearing in a drug-related case Wednesday.
Dea Millerberg, 38, opted against a preliminary hearing in 2nd District Court Wednesday for two counts of falsely obtaining or dispensing a prescription, a third-degree felony. At the same time, Millerberg pleaded not guilty to endangerment of a child or a vulnerable adult, a third-degree felony.
She previously waived her right to a preliminary hearing on that charge, which attorneys have said stem from allegations that a hair follicle test conducted on Millerberg's infant daughter found methamphetamine.
Defense attorney Michael Bouwhuis requested a disposition hearing, which was set for Jan. 18.
The woman said only one word during the hearing, after 2nd District Judge W. Brent West asked if the woman, who posted bail earlier this month, would be present at the January hearing.
"Absolutely," she responded.
Dea Millerberg and her husband, Eric, have been called persons of interest in Alexis' death. The North Ogden girl was last seen the night of Sept. 10, when she was baby- sitting the couple's two young daughters. Her body was found Oct. 18 in Morgan County.
Eric Millerberg is in prison for a drug-related probation violation. Bouwhuis had said the couple's children are in the care of family members.
On Wednesday, prosecutor Dee Smith indicated his office was still awaiting reports from the medical examiner in connection with the teen's death. Bouwhuis had said previously that he anticipates charges will eventually be filed against his client.
- After more than 6 years, 3 families yearn for...
- Strong winds cause damage, possibly fatal...
- Millcreek man faces child abuse homicide...
- Sen. Orrin Hatch headed to Israel to meet...
- About Utah: Want a ride to the past? Matt...
- New strategies eliminate long waitlist for...
- 7 crazy-awesome natural arches and bridges in...
- Thousands attend second Utah Lantern Fest
- With Trump on top, Romney will not... 63
- Utah GOP all in for Cruz, but Trump... 59
- Dog accused of biting child ordered to... 49
- Utah GOP leaders ready to support... 46
- Award recipient's affiliation draws ire... 36
- Climate change and national forests:... 32
- Robert F. Bennett, former three-term... 28
- GOP primary in governor's race now... 24