Man shoots roommate while firing at mouse; police arrest 3rd roommate in rape of teen
TAYLORSVILLE — A 34-year-old man has been arrested for investigation of multiple counts of sex abuse against a 13-year-old girl.
The four-month relationship was discovered after a bizarre incident at the man's house in which one of his housemates was shot by a third housemate who was reportedly trying to shoot a mouse in his kitchen with a 9mm handgun, according to investigators.
Paul Daniel Kunzler was booked into the Salt Lake County Jail for investigation of two counts of rape of a child, three counts of sodomy of a child and three counts of sexual abuse of a child.
The string of events began to unfold about 2 a.m. Tuesday when police were called to a house, 2584 W. Brucemont Drive (5450 South), on a report of an accidental shooting. Officers arrived to discover that a man who was in the bathroom had accidentally been shot in the chest by his 27-year-old housemate who was shooting at a mouse in the kitchen with a handgun, said Taylorsville Police Sgt. Tracy Wyant.
The bullet went through a wall and struck the 28-year-old man while he was in the bathroom.
"After the gun was fired, both the roommate and Paul heard a scream," Wyant said.
The victim was taken to a local hospital in serious condition. He was later upgraded to stable condition. Alcohol was involved in the incident, Wyant said.
During an ensuing search of the house, officers found a 13-year-old girl hiding in a basement closet, Wyant said. The girl told police she had sneaked out of her house without her father's knowledge to see Kunzler, according to a jail report.
After further questioning, investigators learned Kunzler and the 13-year-old had been having a relationship for four months. The two had met through a common friend, Wyant said.
It was not known Wednesday whether any of Kunzler's three housemates were aware of the relationship.
- Teen in Springville family found dead left...
- For his brothers: American Fork family with 4...
- LDS Church releases renderings of final Provo...
- Provo man killed brother-in-law in...
- Looming chocolate drought may leave some...
- Woman thanks rescuer who pushed her away from...
- Utah business leaders say Congress must solve...
- President Obama's immigration reforms seek to...
- Romney, Lee take to the airwaves to... 63
- President Obama's immigration reforms... 57
- Sen. Mike Lee: Congress needs to remind... 55
- America needs heroes, Mitt Romney tells... 55
- Utah members of Congress slam Obama's... 53
- Utah business leaders say Congress must... 44
- Woman wears colander for driver's... 35
- Pope announces U.S. visit, greets... 34