"LYDIA," by Wanda Luce, Walnut Springs Press, $17.99, 358 pages (f)
“Lydia” written by Wanda Luce, is a sentimental love story that is appealing to young adult girls.
Taking place in 18th century England, Lydia Hathaway is a young woman who has endured many years of heartbreak and sorrow. Accepting her fate as a spinster, Lydia settles into her role as governess, and begins to make new friends and acquaintances.
Not able to keep her family’s bankruptcy from her mind, Lydia is desperate to find peace, and turns to nature to find her solace. While Lydia is taking a walk around the estate she runs into the notorious Lord Connor Denton, a man who is famous for his many encounters with women.
Though he has a questionable reputation, Lydia finds herself falling deeply in love with Lord Denton. She tries to ignore his coming advances and thinks he is merely taunting her with his flirtations.
Because they are part of the same social circle, Lord Denton and Lydia find themselves together on a regular basis. Lord Denton’s continual presence torments Lydia. Should she confess her feelings for Lord Denton? Will he laugh at her feelings or reciprocate them?
“Lydia” is a sweet book that echoes the storylines of “Pride and Prejudice” and “Sense and Sensibility.” Nonetheless, the plot of the book lacks substance. A big chunk of the book is dedicated to describing Lydia’s loneliness and longing for love. It quickly gets boring with such a hormonal main character.
The book does have strengths. Luce shows a solid understanding of British culture and masters the description of it. Though not comparable to Jane Austen novels, “Lydia” is fitting tribute to the people of 18th century England.
Wanda Luce is a native of Utah and teaches German at two high schools. She has always had a lifelong passion for British literature.
Though the book has its silly moments, it is a quick and entertaining read. Young girls will fall in love with Lord Denton and hope for Lydia’s happily ever after.
Shelby Scoffield is a graduate of Brigham Young University and a graduate student at California State University, Stanislaus.
- 60 things you might not know about your...
- 10 celebrity couples who have made marriage work
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:...
- 10 things to know before going to Salt Lake...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket Challenge is...
- 10 books that you were forced to read in...
- 13 ways Disney could use drones at its parks
- Ron Perlman added to Salt Lake Comic Con...
- Jim Bennett: The ALS Ice Bucket... 7
- Getting ready for Salt Lake Comic Con:... 4
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt wed privately... 3
- Fallon to lead honors as Leno wins top... 2
- Is 'Harry Potter' actually about mental... 2
- EA Sports puts Damian Lillard on the... 2
- Miley Cyrus about VMA success: 'I'm in... 1
- 10 things to know before going to Salt... 1