Uninspired effort for Jazz leads to blowout loss to the Trail Blazers
Portland also forced Utah into 22 turnovers, and never really let the Jazz work their offense the way Corbin's crew claims it has clicked in offense. Jefferson and Okur, starting for the first time since April 2010 when he tore his Achilles tendon, only combined to score nine points and grab five boards.
No rest for the walloped. After flying back late Monday night, the Jazz have a practice this morning.
"I think it was a great measuring test for us, kind of put us in our place," Harris added. "We'll get back to work tomorrow and we'll see this team again on Wednesday."
Miles scored nine, Jefferson had seven points and only three rebounds, and Okur scored two points while putting up just one field-goal attempt.
The Jazz rookies showed glimpses of potential in their NBA debuts. Center Enes Kanter hauled in 10 rebounds with six points, and shooting guard Alec Burks chipped in with eight points and three assists.
Other than that, well, the Jazz can be thankful it's just the preseason.
Four days after signing with the Jazz, veteran small forward Josh Howard only saw five minutes of action. That short appearance was by design. Corbin said the Jazz don't want to risk getting Howard injured, adding that he still needs time to become familiar with plays and teammates, and vice-versa.
"We've to get to get a little more time on practice floor to make sure we feel comfortable with his conditioning," Corbin said. "He looks great."
This game offered little insight into the No. 3 point guard battle. Starter Devin Harris and his primary backup, Earl Watson, were the only playmakers to see action. Jamaal Tinsley, Keith McLeod and Scottie Reynolds didn't leave the bench.
- Utah's first family of boxing loses one of...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football winner...
- Morning links: Utes land a local commitment...
- BYU basketball guard Anson Winder and...
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball, slow down
- Local flavor in the NBA (and beyond): Lillard...
- A Super Bowl 1st-timer, Utah native Sealver...
- Utah Jazz forward Gordon Hayward gets a...
- Timpview standout, 2014 Mr. Football... 41
- Tyler Haws vows BYU will turn it around... 39
- San Diego hands BYU its second straight... 37
- Dick Harmon: BYU basketball must make... 34
- Morning links: Utes land a local... 33
- Guest commentary: Hey, BYU basketball,... 31
- Dick Harmon: Texas speedster Charles... 28
- Utes get it done at home again 21