Uninspired effort for Jazz leads to blowout loss to the Trail Blazers
Portland also forced Utah into 22 turnovers, and never really let the Jazz work their offense the way Corbin's crew claims it has clicked in offense. Jefferson and Okur, starting for the first time since April 2010 when he tore his Achilles tendon, only combined to score nine points and grab five boards.
No rest for the walloped. After flying back late Monday night, the Jazz have a practice this morning.
"I think it was a great measuring test for us, kind of put us in our place," Harris added. "We'll get back to work tomorrow and we'll see this team again on Wednesday."
Miles scored nine, Jefferson had seven points and only three rebounds, and Okur scored two points while putting up just one field-goal attempt.
The Jazz rookies showed glimpses of potential in their NBA debuts. Center Enes Kanter hauled in 10 rebounds with six points, and shooting guard Alec Burks chipped in with eight points and three assists.
Other than that, well, the Jazz can be thankful it's just the preseason.
Four days after signing with the Jazz, veteran small forward Josh Howard only saw five minutes of action. That short appearance was by design. Corbin said the Jazz don't want to risk getting Howard injured, adding that he still needs time to become familiar with plays and teammates, and vice-versa.
"We've to get to get a little more time on practice floor to make sure we feel comfortable with his conditioning," Corbin said. "He looks great."
This game offered little insight into the No. 3 point guard battle. Starter Devin Harris and his primary backup, Earl Watson, were the only playmakers to see action. Jamaal Tinsley, Keith McLeod and Scottie Reynolds didn't leave the bench.
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by media...
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 commissioner frank about...
- From autonomy to Harvey Langi: Tidbits from...
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not on...
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to Cleveland...
- Utah's Fiesta Bowl championship team: Where...
- The original BCS busters: Looking back at...
- Utah football: Pac-12 Football Media Day Central
- Dick Harmon: Big 12 not looking to... 225
- Kyle Whittingham, players unfazed by... 95
- Dick Harmon: BYU, Pac-12 scheduling is... 78
- The original BCS busters: Looking back... 53
- BYU football: Cougars and expansion not... 44
- ACC media days has some interesting... 43
- Utah's better BCS buster, 2004 or 2008? 29
- Utah Jazz: Jazz send 3 players to... 26