SALT LAKE CITY — Police say a woman upset over prices charged by an ice cream vendor took out her frustrations by spraying industrial-strength cleaner in the driver's face.
She also saved some of that anger for police.
Police say the female driver of an ice cream van was selling frozen treats at the Bridgeside Landing Apartments in Taylorsville on Aug. 7 when a woman with a towel in one hand and a spray bottle in the other approached and ordered the woman to leave. The vendor had her three minor children in the van with her.
When the ice cream vendor wouldn't leave, the woman, Andrea F. Chavez, 65, sprayed the van's windows and then sprayed the woman "multiple times in the face," according to charges filed Monday in 3rd District Court.
The spray got into the driver's eyes, causing them to burn. She was treated at the scene and the taken to University Hospital. Police say the driver was sprayed with Mean Green, an industrial-strength cleaner and degreaser.
Chavez told police she sprayed the woman because "she charges too much for ice cream," according to court documents.
When police attempted to take Chavez into custody, she tried pulling away and began threatening the officer, the charges state. At one point, Chavez attempted to kick the officer, according to the charges.
Chavez faces one count of assault against a peace officer in uniform, a class A misdemeanor; and single counts of assault, interference with an arresting officer and violent offense committed in the presence of a child, all class B misdemeanors.
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy don't...
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support to...
- Conrad Truman found guilty of murdering wife...
- Several national parks vandalized, including...
- National Guard, DPS weigh possible...
- 3 'scary' medical problems for kids
- 'Meet the Mormons' reaches $4.5 million mark,...
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015 World...
- Utahns support bill making clear clergy... 114
- Utahns not as strongly opposed to... 97
- Love not attending Salt Lake City... 61
- GOP senators, congressmen offer support... 44
- Group meeting in Salt Lake to plan 2015... 32
- Support for statewide nondiscrimination... 19
- Owens participates in Rotary Club... 17
- Two men charged with vandalizing LDS... 16