PROVO — The Cougars got off to a big lead before folding late in a tough 86-83 loss to the sixth-ranked Baylor Bears Saturday in a Marriott Center matinee.
Here are three of the biggest factors that keyed Baylor's win at the Marriott Center.
1. Perimeter play
Much was made of Baylor's inside presence with its long and athletic players at the post positions. It was the Bears' perimeter play, however that did the Cougars in as much as any other factor.
The Bears finished with 13-of-25 shooting from the arc, led by guard Brady Heslip who went 6-of-10 from 3-point range. The Cougar perimeter players allowed too many open opportunities for the Bears throughout much of the game.
Matt Carlino accounted for four turnovers in an otherwise very good effort, including a costly errant pass with the Cougars down just one point with under a minute to play. The only blemish on Charles Abouo's gleaming boxscore was his five turnovers.
Overall, the Cougars accounted for 16 turnovers, many of which were unforced.
3. Perry Jones
Jones is Baylor's star player, and was a projected to be a lottery pick had he chosen to enter the NBA draft after last season. The Cougars needed to shut him down to at least some degree if they wanted to come out of the game with a victory.
Jones dominated the play, particularly during the second half, finishing with 28 points on 11-0f-16 shooting and eight rebounds. He also contributed two 3-point baskets and four assists on the afternoon.
Email: email@example.com Twitter: @BrandonCGurney
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get washed away...
- Jimmer Fredette trying to keep his head up as...
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0
- BYU's senior day emotional for Cougar coach...
- Brad Rock: Arizona teaches Utes about waiting
- Dick Harmon: Regardless of circusmtances,...
- Utes drop out of national rankings following...
- When it rains, it pours: Utes get... 140
- BYU's Hill plans to return for senior... 116
- Utes still have outside chance at... 37
- UHSAA's Board of Trustees assigns high... 37
- BYU blanks hapless Savannah State, 64-0 36
- For BYU, it's not about opponent... 31
- Despite the loss, Savannah State coach... 23
- Freshman Jake Toolson leads Cougars... 21