PROVO — The Cougars got off to a big lead before folding late in a tough 86-83 loss to the sixth-ranked Baylor Bears Saturday in a Marriott Center matinee.
Here are three of the biggest factors that keyed Baylor's win at the Marriott Center.
1. Perimeter play
Much was made of Baylor's inside presence with its long and athletic players at the post positions. It was the Bears' perimeter play, however that did the Cougars in as much as any other factor.
The Bears finished with 13-of-25 shooting from the arc, led by guard Brady Heslip who went 6-of-10 from 3-point range. The Cougar perimeter players allowed too many open opportunities for the Bears throughout much of the game.
Matt Carlino accounted for four turnovers in an otherwise very good effort, including a costly errant pass with the Cougars down just one point with under a minute to play. The only blemish on Charles Abouo's gleaming boxscore was his five turnovers.
Overall, the Cougars accounted for 16 turnovers, many of which were unforced.
3. Perry Jones
Jones is Baylor's star player, and was a projected to be a lottery pick had he chosen to enter the NBA draft after last season. The Cougars needed to shut him down to at least some degree if they wanted to come out of the game with a victory.
Jones dominated the play, particularly during the second half, finishing with 28 points on 11-0f-16 shooting and eight rebounds. He also contributed two 3-point baskets and four assists on the afternoon.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Twitter: @BrandonCGurney
- 16 Mormon pop culture moments from 2014-15
- Haws breaks all-time scoring record in 1st...
- 15 signs that you're addicted to your Fitbit
- High school basketball tournaments: Pairings,...
- 4A boys state tournament central: Live...
- Haws' teammates marvel at his BYU scoring record
- 20 questions: How well do you know Tyler...
- Brad Rock: Utes have something to brag about...
- Too many turnovers, not enough baskets... 114
- Peavler: BYU and Utah would both be... 91
- Holmoe talks about bowl brawl... 82
- Dick Harmon: Holmoe's outward interest... 56
- Utah falls to No. 13 in AP poll;... 43
- Utes bounce back, blast Sun Devils 39
- Dick Harmon: Putting Haws' impending... 37
- Morning links: Utah coaching job... 30