PROVO — The Cougars built a big lead in the first half, but gave up a late run to Baylor to close the second half. BYU yielded the lead midway through the second half, ultimately losing a close game, 86-83, Saturday at the Marriott Center.
Grades are in for every position regarding how the Cougars fared against the sixth-ranked team in the nation.
Brandon Davies rose to the challenge of going against Baylor's impressive frontcourt during the first half, finishing with 12 points. He disappeared for too many stretches of the second half, however, finishing with 18 points and 13 rebounds.
It was somewhat the opposite for Noah Hartsock, who didn't make a big impact in the first half, but did some good work in the second. He finished the game with 15 points and five rebounds.
Nate Austin was quiet coming off the bench, playing just seven minutes in which he grabbed three rebounds, but was left without a point. GRADE: B
Charles Abouo had a very productive game accounting for 17 points and nine rebounds. He was at his best slashing toward the basket, leading to some easy lay-up chances.
Brock Zylstra had a very quiet afternoon, scoring just four points, but did grab seven rebounds in 38 minutes of play.
It was important for true freshman DaMarcus Harrison to step up big in place of the injured Stephen Rogers and he did just that in the first half. He didn't have near the impact in the second half, however, finishing with eight points in 15 minutes of play. GRADE: B-
Craig Cusick started the game and provided his usual steady play at the position, finishing with two points and four assists.
Matt Carlino got off to a slow start missing his first three shots, but didn't take long to show Cougar fans what all his hype was about. He provided a lot of energy and found his shot, finishing with 18 points, which included 4-of-8 shooting from 3-point range.
Carlino did account for four turnovers, including a costly one late with BYU only down by one with just under a minute left. Overall, Carlino looked to be a player with a tremendous amount of potential playing in first-ever collegiate basketball game. GRADE: B
- The 1995 NBA draft redone: Was Greg Ostertag...
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;...
- Utah Jazz: Brazilian point guard Raul Neto...
- Jazz fan favorite Jeremy Evans' era in Utah...
- So far, Dante Exum appears to be bigger and...
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert Anae...
- Hatfield suspended from U. football program...
- Hoffman, Collie or Doughty: Which local...
- Morning links: Reviewing BYU's case to... 107
- Morning links: BYU signee shot in arm;... 36
- Doug Robinson: When money speaks louder... 35
- Dick Harmon: A more confident Robert... 29
- BYU Cougars finish year with five... 28
- Utah football player Dominique Hatfield... 27
- Utah Utes enjoy banner year as seven... 19
- Hatfield suspended from U. football... 18