"But I thought going into halftime with a four-point lead, we just needed to play an aggressive second half. For the most part, we did."
For the Bears, the key was their outstanding 3-point shooting. Guard Brady Heslip drilled four 3-pointers in the first half and finished with six on his way to 18 points on the day. Baylor knocked down 13-of-25 shots from beyond the arc.
The Cougars knew they had to defend Baylor's athletic big men — Perry, Quincy Miller and Quincy Acy — and Heslip made BYU pay from outside.
"I think their 3-point shooting was a real difference in the game," Rose said. "We tried to help on those post players. When we didn't help on the post players, they seemed to have their way with us."
Midway through the second half, Carlino hit a jumper that propelled the Cougars to a 64-56 lead. Then BYU suffered a five-minute scoring drought as part of a stretch that saw Baylor go on a 20-3 run and seize a 76-67 lead.
The Cougars battled back to within one, but couldn't get back on top.
"We had a spot there in the middle of the second half where they seemed to really be the aggressor and kind of got us on our heels," Rose said. "We recovered from it. There were a lot of really good things that happened in the game, but when you don't win, it's hard to see that."
Abouo finished with 17 points and Noah Hartsock added 15. Freshman Damarcus Harrison came off the bench to score eight points, all in the first half.
"We saw a lot of really good things in this game. This is a team that had us on our heels and we were able to recover from that and get the game back on our side," Rose said.
"I thought our crowd was terrific. The atmosphere, the emotion and the energy in the building was really exciting. Obviously you want to win the game, but for our team and our situation, where we are right now, I thought that was a really good effort. We're not pleased by any means with the result, but we can build on that and get better."
The Cougars return to action Tuesday when they host Buffalo.
- ACC, ESPN extend deal to 2036 that includes...
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of Charlotte,...
- Brazil nabs 10 IS backers in Olympics...
- Oklahoma State forward Tyrek Coger dies after...
- Jeff Gordon readies for the Brickyard in...
- Froome crashes in Tour, finishes stage with...
- Former NFL coach Dennis Green dies at 67
- Warriors' Draymond Green settles assault case...
- Morning links: National college... 96
- BYU football: Certain games on the... 91
- Report: Tom Holmoe tells Big 12 he's... 79
- Finding a Power 5 home for all BYU... 57
- BYU football coaching staff upbeat... 34
- Former BYU QB Max Hall confronts... 31
- NBA moving All-Star Game out of... 21
- 9 observations from the release of Utah... 14