Weber County Jail
OGDEN — Two people cited for shoplifting became victims of a crime themselves.
While they were questioned in the shoplifting case, police say someone broke into their vehicle and stole a stereo and several other items. It happened about 5 p.m. Thursday at the WinCo Foods at the corner of Wall and 12th Street in Ogden.
“Store security had the individuals in custody, in their office,” Ogden Police Lt. Eric Young said. “They had reviewed surveillance video and recovered stolen property from the suspects.”
Police say Eldon Alexander, 36, and 47-year-old Korin Vanhouten tried to walk out of the store with several small-ticket items like makeup, energy bars and batteries. They were cited for shoplifting and let go.
But as the officer started to leave, “He sees the two suspects trying to flag him down in the parking lot,” Young said, “and he goes over to their location and realizes that their vehicle has actually been burglarized.”
From a distance, surveillance video caught what appears to be a man in a red sweater scoping out Alexander's truck and he eventually gets inside.
"They ended up having their stereo and amplifier, a drum machine and some cigarettes stolen from their vehicle," Young said.
All of this happened while there were several people passing by and the officer's car was parked nearby.
“I think they were unlucky,” Young said. “This is something that happened. I guess it wasn’t dark, but it was starting to get dark.”
Police say they don't typically get reports of car burglaries from that shopping center.
Police say the couple tried to shoplift about $25 worth of merchandise. The items taken from their truck were worth about $60.
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to...
- BYU student parlays app idea into a life-changer
- Security, firefighters detain woman...
- Sandy man gets prison time in $1.5 million...
- New Salt Lake fire chief caught in political...
- Larry H. Miller family pulls Tooele County...
- PacSun pulls T-shirt from shelves after...
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's refusal to...
- Gov. Herbert stepping up pressure on... 43
- Utahns cheer, jeer appeals court's... 33
- 3 veteran officers preparing sex... 22
- Utah Attorney General's office moves to... 20
- Conservative group yanks TV ads... 17
- Parents of teen who died in overdose... 15
- Mayor responds to pending harassment... 14
- BYU student parlays app idea into a... 12