Arson suspected in Mormon meetinghouse fire in Santaquin
Police believe someone ignited trash in building
Scott G Winterton, Deseret News
SANTAQUIN — Police and fire crews are investigating an arson-caused fire that heavily damaged an LDS Church stake house.
"It's definitely an arson," said Santaquin police detective Stan Eggan.
The fire, near 200 East and 100 South, was reported about 4:30 a.m. Eggan called the damage to the meetinghouse "extensive."
He said the fire damaged the south wing of the church, where there were several classrooms, the Relief Society room and the bishop's office.
As of Thursday afternoon, Eggan said there was no evidence to suggest the fire was the result of a hate crime. The church had not received any recent threats. Detectives believe it was likely a vandalism that got out of hand and turned into an arson.
The fire was believed to have started when someone ignited trash inside the building, Eggan said. The person who set the fire was believed to have entered the church through an open window.
The stake center was built in the 1940s and was one of the oldest churches in Santaquin, Eggan said. Part of the building was recently renovated.
There was no word on possible suspects.
Several residents said there was a dinner and fundraiser auction scheduled at the church Thursday night for a member who is being treated for cancer. Those items were reportedly destroyed in the fire.
Additional details will be posted as they become available.
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed robbery...
- Photos: Hollywood comes to Utah with the...
- 'Frozen', Utah style! Slot canyons, arches...
- Suspected DUI driver found in barn hours...
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax this...
- Are you willing to pay more for your child's...
- About Utah: Utah Valley University fills a...
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative Republicans...
- Mitt sounds like a candidate at Salt... 87
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 27
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 21
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 21
- EPA inventory highlights 'toxic'... 20
- Darrien Hunt's mother pleads not guilty... 19
- Former SUU rugby player sentenced to... 18
- Inmates turn in handgun and magazine... 18