WEST VALLEY CITY — A third person has been arrested in connection with the weekend shooting death of a man found inside a vehicle in a church parking lot.
The body of Hairam Balbuena Torres, 24, was found early Saturday inside a car parked at a LDS Church parking lot at 4270 S. 4145 West.
West Valley police on Wednesday announced that their officers, in conjunction with the U.S. Marshals Service and the Joint Criminal Apprehension Team, had arrested Anthony Corona and Eddie Garza, both 20, for investigation of murder and aggravated robbery.
Late Wednesday night, police also arrested Anthony Lizarzburu, 32, for investigation of conspiracy to commit murder and conspiracy to commit aggravated robbery.
A break in the investigation came when investigators found a cellphone at the crime scene. The phone was registered to Corona's grandfather, according to Salt Lake County Jail records. Text messages were found on the phone talking about picking people up, but the names were redacted from the jail report.
According to booking records, Corona shot Torres and Lizarzburu pulled a knife on him prior to the shooting. The plan was to "set up and rob" Torres, the report states. The group that planned to rob Torres arranged to meet him in the church parking lot, booking records state.
Additional details will be posted as they become available.
- Victim of Washington Terrace homicide...
- Deedee Corradini, Salt Lake's first and only...
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the NFL,...
- K2 The Church's grand opening a neighborhood...
- Mentor to Brandon Mull, James Dashner chose...
- Doug Robinson: A Boy Scout for 75 years ......
- Utah assails Obama's Clean Power Plan
- UDOT announces road project schedule for 2015
- Gov. Herbert increases pressure on... 54
- Illinois professor could help Utah... 43
- House Speaker Greg Hughes kills hopes... 35
- Prison Relocation Commission ready to... 25
- About Utah: Replace the prison with the... 22
- With Healthy Utah stalled, lives still... 18
- Hope in a crisis: School, community... 18
- Lawmakers consider academic turnaround... 17