Utah children at risk for homelessness due to home foreclosure rate and 'moderate' planning efforts, national report says
Atkinson said providing food or cash donations to the Utah Food Bank or local food pantries can go a long way to prevent homelessness because it give a little cushion to families struggling to make ends meet. "When people give a bag of groceries, they're helping to prevent homelessness," she said.
According to the report, 1.6 million American children, or one in 45, are homeless in a year. Children who experience homelessness suffer from hunger, poor physical and emotional health and missed educational opportunities.
"Not surprisingly, the risks for child homelessness — such as extreme poverty and worst case housing needs — have worsened with the economic recession, even though the total housing capacity for families increased by more than 15,000 units in the past four years, primarily due to the federal Homeless Prevention and Rapid Rehousing Program," the report said.
The complete report, which can be found at www.homelesschildrenamerica.org, documents the numbers of homeless children in every state, their well-being, the risk for child homelessness, and state level planning and policy activities.
The 2010 report is an update to a previous analysis by The National Center on Family Homelessness titled "America’s Youngest Outcasts: State Report Card on Child Homelessness."
COMPOSITE SCORES (1= Best, 50=Worst)
UTAH - 27
Top Composite Scores
4. North Dakota
6. New Hampshire
7. New Jersey
Bottom Composite Scores
45. New Mexico
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of...
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about...
- Fear of pending apocalypse led to...
- Man accused in BYU gropings accepts diversion...
- LDS statement could move Utah...
- Bill would increase incentives for early high...
- Business community supports tax increases for...
- Attorneys want BYU track team testimony...
- LDS leaders reemphasize protection of... 181
- Lawmakers looking to pump up gas tax... 60
- Sen. Mike Lee urges conservative... 38
- Watch: LDS Church news conference about... 35
- Are you willing to pay more for your... 26
- LDS statement could move Utah... 26
- Concealed permit holder stopped armed... 24
- Utah residents rank air pollution as... 20