WEST VALLEY CITY — Police are investigating a homicide that took place early Saturday morning in an LDS Church parking lot.
Police say they received multiple reports of shots being fired near 4270 S. 4145 West around 6:30 a.m., according to West Valley Police Sgt. Mike Powell.
When officers arrived at the scene, they found a vehicle parked near the back of the church with a dead man inside. Police confirmed the man died as a result of a gunshot wound. They are investigating the case as a homicide.
"There is going to be foul play involved, yes," said West Valley Police Lt. Bill Merritt. "People don't typically park behind a building in the early morning hours unless they're trying to conceal some sort of an activity. … It's safe to say there was something going on here. They weren't looking to draw attention to themselves."
Merritt said there had been a Christmas party at the church Friday night, but it doesn't seem to have any connection to the man's death. There was no identification at the scene and no witnesses.
Police don't believe the man was a member of the congregation that met at the building.
More information will be posted as it becomes available.
- The pimple dilemma: To pop or not to pop
- Dad who placed ad for a wife for his son gets...
- Prosecutors: Dad, son fleeing police killed...
- Quiz: Name that movie (filmed in Utah)
- Quiz: Who said it?: Utah coaches edition
- Quiz: Which Utah attraction should you road...
- Quiz: Which epic Airbnb in Utah should be...
- Costco begins new credit card agreement
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 79
- 45 new locations open to provide free... 38
- Love won't go to GOP national convention 35
- Gov. Gary Herbert calls margin of... 33
- Supreme Court abortion decision could... 31
- Arches Health Plan shutdown leaves $33... 30
- Misty Snow likely to advance to general... 28
- Will 'Brexit' vote help Trump in Utah? 26