WEST VALLEY CITY — Police are investigating a homicide that took place early Saturday morning in an LDS Church parking lot.
Police say they received multiple reports of shots being fired near 4270 S. 4145 West around 6:30 a.m., according to West Valley Police Sgt. Mike Powell.
When officers arrived at the scene, they found a vehicle parked near the back of the church with a dead man inside. Police confirmed the man died as a result of a gunshot wound. They are investigating the case as a homicide.
"There is going to be foul play involved, yes," said West Valley Police Lt. Bill Merritt. "People don't typically park behind a building in the early morning hours unless they're trying to conceal some sort of an activity. … It's safe to say there was something going on here. They weren't looking to draw attention to themselves."
Merritt said there had been a Christmas party at the church Friday night, but it doesn't seem to have any connection to the man's death. There was no identification at the scene and no witnesses.
Police don't believe the man was a member of the congregation that met at the building.
More information will be posted as it becomes available.
- Parade spectators celebrate pioneers past and...
- A photographic look back at the Days of '47...
- Draper house explodes into flames (+videos)
- Head-on collision kills 2, injures 3 in Eagle...
- Student attitudes changing on healthy school...
- Rare cancer treatment leaves Provo teen hopeful
- Missouri hiker found dead in hot Wayne County...
- See what the pioneers thought, felt as they...
- Herbert among 6 governors raising... 46
- Union Pacific train makes special... 15
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 15
- 'Inseparable' Clinton brothers killed... 14
- Utah State Fairpark and Real Salt Lake... 14
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 13
- 'No trespassing' sign may not stop... 13
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11