"TIGER'S VOYAGE," by Colleen Houck, Sterling Publishing, $17.95, 543 pages (f)
Collen Houck does it again.
"Tiger's Voyage," the third book in the Tiger's series, comes packed with adventure, imagination and romance.
"Voyage" is full of details and descriptions that make the story vivid and easy to imagine. Possibly an indicator to her previous profession as a sign language interpreter, Houck crafts each scenario with words that show and tell. Houck's attention to detail truly transports the reader into the sights, smells and sounds of each moment.
Characters Kelsey, Ren and Kishan journey this time by sea to break the Tiger's curse, and restore Ren and Kishan to their full human state. The trio encounter five different dragons, each with a challenge of their own in order to break another part of the curse.
Because Ren has forgotten who Kelsey is, and their previous love, another romance blossoms between Kishan and Kelsey. Kelsey is determined to stay with Kishan to prove that she is committed to her choice to be with him. But when Ren regains his memory suddenly everything becomes complicated and confusing for everyone.
Even though this story is about a romance, readers will find that "Voyage" offers much more than a love story. Houck uses Indian mythology, legend and culture to add depth and variety to her story.
The Tiger's series is a teen appropriate action-packed romance novel. Battle scenes are not malicious and the romantic scenes are mild. Some comments are mildly suggestive.
"Voyage" will leave readers speculating and dying to know the fate of each character. Houck, who served a Mormon mission, leaves just enough hints to make readers wonder but never sure. The final two books in the Tiger's series cannot come fast enough.
IF YOU GO ...
What: Colleen Houck book signing
When: Wednesday, Dec. 14, 6 p.m.
Where: The King’s English, 1511 S. 1500 East, Salt Lake City
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why we...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'...
- PBS science correspondent Miles O'Brien says...
- Engaging calypso fairy tale unfolds in 'Once...
- Dead Sea Scrolls exhibit offers chance to...
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are...
- Book review: Brandon Sanderson's 'Words of...
- Dancing for Food: Dance event raises $40K for...
- Profane, award-winning 'Book of Mormon'... 68
- Director Darren Aronofsky’s... 20
- Wright Words: Disney's 'Frozen' and why... 19
- Instead of 'Game of Thrones,' there are... 11
- 'Pay the price or go dark': Going... 9
- PBS science correspondent Miles O'Brien... 1
- First look at modernized 'Annie'... 1
- Wacky 'Mr. Peabody and Sherman' makes... 1