Have you ever found yourself stuck in a rut, wishing you could change your past or even your present situation? In today’s world many people feel they have no chance for true happiness because they are overburdened and afflicted with trials and pains. As a result, their self-esteem and peace of mind are negatively affected.
In order to help members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints find peace and happiness, Kim Nelson, a Mormon therapist, suggests several techniques in his book “Getting Past If Only” (Covenant Communications, $12.99).
- Understand your blessings. Realize that trials are often blessings in disguise. Accept whatever comes your way faith and confidence in the Lord.
- Stop keeping score and measuring yourself against others. Realize that we are all sons and daughters of a Heavenly Father.
- Understand that everyone has the gift of agency.
- Take ownership of your life and take responsibility for making your life happy.
- Focus on the future and not the past.
- Change your thinking. If you are in a mud hole, you need to recognize one of the possible reasons for being there is that you simply choose to be in the mud hole.
- When you are able to recognize that your actions are your choice, you will receive the power to change.
- Treat everyone around you like they have something to teach you.
- Surround yourself with a good and loving environment. Do not put up with toxic people and statements.
“I decided I would prepare myself to see the miracles in each day, and as a result, I saw amazing things around me," Nelson said.
Shelby Scoffield is a graduate of Brigham Young University and a graduate student at California State University, Stanislaus.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir sings 'Happy' medley...
- Motherhood Matters: 3 unbelievably simple...
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest?
- What life was like for the Mormon pioneers...
- In Our Lovely Deseret: Who were the first 3...
- Observers uncertain about the impact of...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer on trek...
- LDS Church to break ground next month for...
- New study: Mormon pioneers were safer... 70
- Ask Angela: Are my leggings modest? 58
- Propaganda war continues in Hobby Lobby... 50
- What does the Mormon 'temperature'... 39
- Observers uncertain about the impact of... 39
- LDS Church to break ground next month... 26
- Brain injury changes the lives and... 15
- New solar panels are symbol of the... 11