"TEXTING THROUGH TIME: A Trek with Brigham Young," by Christy Monson, Cedar Fort, $9.99, 122 pages (f) (ages 8-12)
Some phones are smarter than others.
In the new book, "Texting Through Time," published by Cedar Fort, Micah and Alicia's phone is so smart it can take kids back in time. The siblings accidentally trigger the experimental time-travel app and land at Brigham Young's side.
In order to get back to their own time, the kids must figure out how to use the phone and then journal about what's happening by sending text messages. Their adventure takes them to key scenes throughout President Young's life, from his 11th birthday party to excitement along the pioneer trail to his later years as a prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Today's kids will love reading about interesting and often little-known details about President Young's life. With modern-day Micah and Alicia, they'll learn what it was like to be a kid in New England, go on the trek West, and live in frontier Utah.
"Texting Through Time" is skillfully written by first-time author Christy Monson. Details are thoroughly researched, but Monson never forgets to keep the young reader in mind. The characters and dialog feel realistic and will make it easy for kids to relate to the story. There are spiritual lessons to be learned as well, and Monson keeps these moments age-appropriate and never preachy.
Charming illustrations by Rosalie Ledezma add fun and interest to the pages.
Margot Hovley's first novel will be published by Covenant Communications in 2012. Find her popular self-reliance blog at www.mynewoldschool.com or read about her writing adventures at www.margothovley.com.
- Women hired by LDS Church History Department...
- Larry King interviews Lindsey Stirling about...
- LDS missionary department leader: Zika has...
- UTubers: Returned LDS missionary part of...
- LDS missionaries safe in Taiwan after earthquake
- Mormon Mentions: Adam Levine praises The...
- LDS Church donates additional $5 million to...
- Mormon Taylor Swift look-alike draws national...
- Defending the Faith: Why the question... 38
- Obama at prayer breakfast: 'Jesus is a... 25
- Obama's take on 3 key debates about... 13
- Bernie Sanders disappoints some... 13
- Hamblin & Peterson: Buddhism and violence 7
- Women hired by LDS Church History... 5
- Wheaton provost apologizes to Larycia... 5
- 'Rich and fascinating': New online... 4