"TEXTING THROUGH TIME: A Trek with Brigham Young," by Christy Monson, Cedar Fort, $9.99, 122 pages (f) (ages 8-12)
Some phones are smarter than others.
In the new book, "Texting Through Time," published by Cedar Fort, Micah and Alicia's phone is so smart it can take kids back in time. The siblings accidentally trigger the experimental time-travel app and land at Brigham Young's side.
In order to get back to their own time, the kids must figure out how to use the phone and then journal about what's happening by sending text messages. Their adventure takes them to key scenes throughout President Young's life, from his 11th birthday party to excitement along the pioneer trail to his later years as a prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Today's kids will love reading about interesting and often little-known details about President Young's life. With modern-day Micah and Alicia, they'll learn what it was like to be a kid in New England, go on the trek West, and live in frontier Utah.
"Texting Through Time" is skillfully written by first-time author Christy Monson. Details are thoroughly researched, but Monson never forgets to keep the young reader in mind. The characters and dialog feel realistic and will make it easy for kids to relate to the story. There are spiritual lessons to be learned as well, and Monson keeps these moments age-appropriate and never preachy.
Charming illustrations by Rosalie Ledezma add fun and interest to the pages.
Margot Hovley's first novel will be published by Covenant Communications in 2012. Find her popular self-reliance blog at www.mynewoldschool.com or read about her writing adventures at www.margothovley.com.
- Mormon mom battling breast cancer during...
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile
- ValueSpeak: How did my toddler grandson...
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common ground...
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps of...
- 20 years later, 'blessed' Herring believes he...
- LDS Church announces Cedar City temple...
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem
- Online system will allow Mormons to pay... 72
- God will give you more than you can... 51
- Defending the Faith: Going up to Jerusalem 30
- Mormon man's half-court shot is a... 25
- LDS sister missionaries assaulted in Chile 14
- LDS artist J. Kirk Richards says leaps... 9
- BYU Cougarettes, National Hip-Hop... 8
- Lutheran, LDS leaders forge common... 8