"TEXTING THROUGH TIME: A Trek with Brigham Young," by Christy Monson, Cedar Fort, $9.99, 122 pages (f) (ages 8-12)
Some phones are smarter than others.
In the new book, "Texting Through Time," published by Cedar Fort, Micah and Alicia's phone is so smart it can take kids back in time. The siblings accidentally trigger the experimental time-travel app and land at Brigham Young's side.
In order to get back to their own time, the kids must figure out how to use the phone and then journal about what's happening by sending text messages. Their adventure takes them to key scenes throughout President Young's life, from his 11th birthday party to excitement along the pioneer trail to his later years as a prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Today's kids will love reading about interesting and often little-known details about President Young's life. With modern-day Micah and Alicia, they'll learn what it was like to be a kid in New England, go on the trek West, and live in frontier Utah.
"Texting Through Time" is skillfully written by first-time author Christy Monson. Details are thoroughly researched, but Monson never forgets to keep the young reader in mind. The characters and dialog feel realistic and will make it easy for kids to relate to the story. There are spiritual lessons to be learned as well, and Monson keeps these moments age-appropriate and never preachy.
Charming illustrations by Rosalie Ledezma add fun and interest to the pages.
Margot Hovley's first novel will be published by Covenant Communications in 2012. Find her popular self-reliance blog at www.mynewoldschool.com or read about her writing adventures at www.margothovley.com.
- Defending the Faith: The Book of Mormon...
- LDS sister missionary from Kaysville killed...
- Sister Linda K. Burton writes about emotional...
- Praying together to stay together? The role...
- How Darwin Day has evolved in the U.S.
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces virtual...
- Understanding DNA testing in family history
- David Archuleta says ‘most fulfilling...
- Defending the Faith: The Book of Mormon... 68
- Darwin Day notwithstanding, evolution... 21
- LDS sister missionary from Kaysville... 14
- Mormon Tabernacle Choir announces 7... 8
- Bernie Sanders supported religious... 8
- How Darwin Day has evolved in the U.S. 7
- Evangelical leaders denounce Selective... 6
- ... 4