International Business: International social media marketing is more than just a Facebook page
“In most Western cultures having a real photo creates credibility, and in some Eastern cultures it creates discomfort,” explains international social media expert Cindy King on her eponymous website. “Cartoon avatars work much better.”
For this reason, Mixi adopts highly relevant features that appeal to Japanese users. For instance, it allows anonymity that is not permitted by Facebook. Mixi also goes a step farther by allowing shy Japanese users to add friends without ever being so bold as to actually request a connection; users create lists of potential friends and Mixi quietly makes connections where it sees matches.
The social networks themselves have also seen failures in cultural adaptation. For example, Facebook was criticized earlier this year for inviting Russian users to announce children on the way, even though speaking of the unborn is considered bad luck in Russia.
Finally, successful international social media marketing campaigns require skilled marketers to not only plan and implement these campaigns according to local language and culture, but also to keep the messages lively and, well, social.
The Clearasil brand saw huge success in Russia with the help of Russian marketing agency LLC Grape. Grape created a culturally relevant, Russian language campaign on VKontakte. The agency’s cleverly engaging efforts connected Clearasil with more than 500,000 online participants and increased annual sales in the country by 30 percent.
International social media marketing is more than creating an English Facebook page for an international audience. Brands like Clearasil that understand this reality and adapt to different international networks in language and culture will see more international success than those that do not.
- Z'Tejas closing after 13 years at The Gateway
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at Utah...
- Overstock employees ride bicycles to work to...
- Dave Ramsey says: Don't leave an estate with...
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of balance,...
- Renewable energy advocates decry proposed...
- Batman and the search for familial stability
- The Gateway adding new dining concept
- Protesters from across U.S. arrested at... 12
- Obama gives protection to gay,... 7
- New solar energy project at Utah... 6
- Balancing act: Survey says lack of... 4
- Parks visitors spent $596M in Utah last... 4
- Renewable energy advocates decry... 4
- Beef pollutes more than pork, poultry,... 2
- Airlines scrap Israel flights over... 2