Utes lose 7th straight game against Cal State Fullerton, 81-50
SALT LAKE CITY — Simply put, the Runnin' Utes didn't get "Jiggy" with it in an 81-50 loss to Cal State Fullerton in the Huntsman Center.
Utah, in fact, looked quite shaky early on in losing its seventh straight game.
Playing without scoring and assist leader Josh "Jiggy" Watkins, who was suspended by head coach Larry Krystkowiak earlier in the week for conduct detrimental to the team, the Utes got off to a poor start and never recovered.
The Titans led 43-26 at halftime, capitalizing on a 14-0 run to open the game. They connected on their first four shots from the field — all from 3-point range — to put the Utes in a deep hole less than three minutes into the contest.
Utah missed four shots before Chris Hines put the Utes on the board with a 3-pointer with 16:52 remaining in the first half. They eventually cut the deficit to 26-19 but could draw no closer. Cal State Fullerton used a 7-0 run and a pair of five-point outbursts down the stretch to regain a more comfortable lead.
The Titans shot 62.5 percent from the field in the first half, while the Utes made just 33.3 percent of their shots.
Although things improved slightly in the second half, it wasn't reflected on the scoreboard as Cal State Fullerton (5-3) extended its lead.
Utah (1-7) returns to action Saturday at home against BYU.
- Facing Argentina, Messi in Copa semis not...
- WNBA undefeated: Lynx host Sparks for 20th...
- Cleveland set to hold parade for NBA champion...
- Deseret News podcast: 2016 NBA draft preview
- A look at how freshmen have fared with NBA...
- High school softball: A closer look at this...
- New Rome mayor maintains opposition to 2024...
- Former NBA MVP Derrick Rose traded from Bulls...
- Morning links: Athlon ranks Utah FBS... 89
- BYU football receives commitment from... 68
- Utah Jazz to acquire Indiana Pacers PG... 37
- Morning links: ESPN analysts critical... 24
- U. stadium gets bigger scoreboard,... 21
- Utah basketball: Poeltl taken by... 16
- Brad Rock: Jazz move up playoff... 14
- Families grapple with the pressure to... 12