Utes lose 7th straight game against Cal State Fullerton, 81-50
SALT LAKE CITY — Simply put, the Runnin' Utes didn't get "Jiggy" with it in an 81-50 loss to Cal State Fullerton in the Huntsman Center.
Utah, in fact, looked quite shaky early on in losing its seventh straight game.
Playing without scoring and assist leader Josh "Jiggy" Watkins, who was suspended by head coach Larry Krystkowiak earlier in the week for conduct detrimental to the team, the Utes got off to a poor start and never recovered.
The Titans led 43-26 at halftime, capitalizing on a 14-0 run to open the game. They connected on their first four shots from the field — all from 3-point range — to put the Utes in a deep hole less than three minutes into the contest.
Utah missed four shots before Chris Hines put the Utes on the board with a 3-pointer with 16:52 remaining in the first half. They eventually cut the deficit to 26-19 but could draw no closer. Cal State Fullerton used a 7-0 run and a pair of five-point outbursts down the stretch to regain a more comfortable lead.
The Titans shot 62.5 percent from the field in the first half, while the Utes made just 33.3 percent of their shots.
Although things improved slightly in the second half, it wasn't reflected on the scoreboard as Cal State Fullerton (5-3) extended its lead.
Utah (1-7) returns to action Saturday at home against BYU.
- Gordon Hayward looks to get better at...
- National experts weigh in on the BYU Cougars'...
- 2015 Deseret News NFL Mock Draft: Wide...
- Utahns in baseball: BYU alum Jaycob Brugman's...
- Analysis: Utah Jazz will be better, but will...
- Amy Donaldson: South Summit High community...
- High school track: Top performances from 2015
- Utah Jazz: Derrick Favors continues to make...
- Little offense as main players sit out... 102
- Brad Rock: BYU's window is closing; big... 101
- Ultimate football road trips:... 48
- Morning links: Duke in pursuit of Lone... 44
- Brighton wide receiver Simi Fehoko... 42
- BYU offense looking to move the ball,... 30
- Dave Rose hires May as BYU's director... 13
- Analysis: Utah Jazz will be better, but... 13