Utes lose 7th straight game against Cal State Fullerton, 81-50
SALT LAKE CITY — Simply put, the Runnin' Utes didn't get "Jiggy" with it in an 81-50 loss to Cal State Fullerton in the Huntsman Center.
Utah, in fact, looked quite shaky early on in losing its seventh straight game.
Playing without scoring and assist leader Josh "Jiggy" Watkins, who was suspended by head coach Larry Krystkowiak earlier in the week for conduct detrimental to the team, the Utes got off to a poor start and never recovered.
The Titans led 43-26 at halftime, capitalizing on a 14-0 run to open the game. They connected on their first four shots from the field — all from 3-point range — to put the Utes in a deep hole less than three minutes into the contest.
Utah missed four shots before Chris Hines put the Utes on the board with a 3-pointer with 16:52 remaining in the first half. They eventually cut the deficit to 26-19 but could draw no closer. Cal State Fullerton used a 7-0 run and a pair of five-point outbursts down the stretch to regain a more comfortable lead.
The Titans shot 62.5 percent from the field in the first half, while the Utes made just 33.3 percent of their shots.
Although things improved slightly in the second half, it wasn't reflected on the scoreboard as Cal State Fullerton (5-3) extended its lead.
Utah (1-7) returns to action Saturday at home against BYU.
- Dick Harmon: Taysom Hill steals center stage...
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10
- BYU's suspended players expected to be back...
- BYU coach, players answer questions at fireside
- High school football: Friday's roundup
- Dick Harmon: BYU victory comes with 4 rookies...
- Saturday morning quarterback: 3 stars and...
- Daniel Sorensen makes Chiefs 53-man roster,...
- College football predictions: How will... 141
- The good, the bad and the most likely:... 63
- First steps: Utes open season with... 63
- It's go time for the Utes: Utah kicks... 57
- Fast start propels BYU past UConn, 35-10 56
- CBS Sports analyst predicts BYU to Big... 55
- Brad Rock: One thing already missing in... 50
- Brad Rock: What the Utes now know: very... 48