"I want to be careful how I say this because I don't want to suggest that it has had no impact because certainly it has," he said. "On the other hand, I don't think it's a situation in which you can say that justice has not been administered properly. They've just had to do more with fewer resources and they can maintain that over the short run, but it's time we get these vacancies filled," he said.
Jones said the judges have been good about the heavier caseloads.
"Fortunately, all the judged have stepped up. They really don't complain," he said. "I'm sure they get frustrated."
Utah's federal bench
Chief Judge Ted Stewart
Nominated: July, 27, 1999 (Clinton)
Confirmed: Oct. 5, 1999
Judge Dee Benson
Nominated: May 16, 1991 (George H.W. Bush)
Confirmed: Sept. 12, 1991
Judge Clark Waddoups
Nominated: April 29, 2008 (George W. Bush)
Confirmed: Oct. 21, 2008
Senior Judge Tena Campbell
Nominated: June 22, 1995 (Clinton)
Confirmed: June 30, 1995
Senior Judge Dale Kimball
Nominated: Sept. 4, 1997 (Clinton)
Confirmed: Oct. 21, 1997
Senior Judge Bruce Jenkins
Nominated: Aug. 28, 1978 (Carter)
Confirmed: Sept. 22, 1978
Senior Judge David Sam
Nominated: Sept. 9, 1985 (Reagan)
Confirmed: Oct. 16, 1985
- 2-year-old boy dies from accidental shooting...
- Crowds to flock to Salt Lake City this weekend
- Man admits raping, killing young Ogden girl...
- Salt Lake City Marathon comes with many...
- Tabernacle Choir performs Handel's 'Messiah'...
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed; police...
- Western states to feds: Turn over public lands
- Top 10 spring activities for Utah families
- LDS Church reaffirms stance on immigration 107
- Atheists, Mormon scholars talk religion 89
- At UVU, Elder Oaks sees hope despite... 77
- Utah, Oklahoma same-sex marriage cases... 47
- U., Ute Tribe reach agreement on... 38
- Appeals judges question right to sue in... 27
- Autopsies of 7 infants completed;... 24
- Texas seizes FLDS Church's secluded ranch 23