"I want to be careful how I say this because I don't want to suggest that it has had no impact because certainly it has," he said. "On the other hand, I don't think it's a situation in which you can say that justice has not been administered properly. They've just had to do more with fewer resources and they can maintain that over the short run, but it's time we get these vacancies filled," he said.
Jones said the judges have been good about the heavier caseloads.
"Fortunately, all the judged have stepped up. They really don't complain," he said. "I'm sure they get frustrated."
Utah's federal bench
Chief Judge Ted Stewart
Nominated: July, 27, 1999 (Clinton)
Confirmed: Oct. 5, 1999
Judge Dee Benson
Nominated: May 16, 1991 (George H.W. Bush)
Confirmed: Sept. 12, 1991
Judge Clark Waddoups
Nominated: April 29, 2008 (George W. Bush)
Confirmed: Oct. 21, 2008
Senior Judge Tena Campbell
Nominated: June 22, 1995 (Clinton)
Confirmed: June 30, 1995
Senior Judge Dale Kimball
Nominated: Sept. 4, 1997 (Clinton)
Confirmed: Oct. 21, 1997
Senior Judge Bruce Jenkins
Nominated: Aug. 28, 1978 (Carter)
Confirmed: Sept. 22, 1978
Senior Judge David Sam
Nominated: Sept. 9, 1985 (Reagan)
Confirmed: Oct. 16, 1985
- Longtime teacher, BYU instructor appointed...
- Families face uncertainty, unite in prayer as...
- Former Attorney General John Swallow left...
- Expelling Santa from school? Holiday...
- Utah judge could be first to rule on state...
- Federal website fixes allowing more Utahns to...
- Martin MacNeill hospitalized after suicide...
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela
- Utah judge could be first to rule on... 103
- Should parents pay extra for... 46
- Federal website fixes allowing more... 28
- Utah A.G. John Swallow: 'No way to... 25
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- Tea Party Express endorses Sen. Mike... 25
- Candidates seeking to replace Swallow... 19
- Utahns react to death of Nelson Mandela 19