Multiple accidents leave 1 dead, others critically injured
SALT LAKE CITY — Multiple accidents involving pedestrians or bicyclists across the state have left one teenager dead and two others seriously injured.
St. George police said a boy, 17, died after a 3 p.m. Monday accident when he crashed his bicycle on Sunset Boulevard.
The boy was riding his bicycle when he swerved to avoid pedestrians on the sidewalk. He lost control and in the tumble, his head hit a large landscaping boulder. His name has not been released.
On Tuesday, Unified police said another teenager, 17, was critically injured after he was struck by a Jeep while riding his skateboard.
The 3:45 p.m. accident happened at about 865 E. Sego Lily Drive in the White City area of Salt Lake County. The sun impaired the vision of the driver, according to police.
Later on Tuesday evening, the Cottonwood Heights Police Department was on the scene of an auto-pedestrian accident involving a 14-year-old girl.
Sgt. Mark Askerlund said the girl, who lives in the neighborhood, was crossing 3500 East at about 7850 South at 6 p.m. when she was hit by a car driven by a 75-year-old man.
Askerlund said it was dark at the time and speed did not appear to be a factor.
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of BYU...
- 'He was large, he was angry, he was bloody,'...
- IRS raids properties with possible polygamist...
- Friends, family remember sister missionary...
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's...
- 7 more of the most infamous criminals in Utah...
- Manti man indicted in Oregon occupation;...
- UHP trooper hit during I-15 traffic stop
- Riverton sees 550-acre LDS Church... 39
- Survivor of Trolley Square massacre... 32
- IRS raids properties with possible... 19
- Lee, Stewart urge action on behalf of... 18
- Should Utah have 'blended sentences'... 14
- Ex-judge asks Obama to commute sentence... 14
- Salt Lake County may downsize, close... 11
- Summit County wants rewrite of Bishop's... 10