Steve Eaton: It takes courage to leave behind your iPad and iPhone to serve a mission
My son won't need to worry about such things. He’s driven by an inner conviction that he is doing the right thing. I believe he is and I want to be there to support such courage. Since I’m out here in the real world, it will be my job to write him letters, update him on Herman Cain’s latest denials and let him know if anyone is proposing eliminating the state of New Mexico to cut back the size of government. If President Barack Obama wins and the Republicans are right about the world ending, I can send him a letter giving him a heads up.
When I went on my mission my family — being the jokers that they were — changed their names and moved away to another part of the country. It took me a year to find them but we all had a good laugh once I did. We would never do that to Jackson. In fact, we couldn’t. His iPad has got some sort of tracking device in it and I’m not about to relinquish my role as guardian of the iPad.
No, I’ve got his back. He can count on me.
I think I’ll go sneak another brownie.
Steve Eaton lives and works in Logan, Utah. It has taken time, but the people there have become accustomed to him and it has been weeks since there have been any "incidents." He can be reached at Eatonnews@gmail.com.
- Sister Frances J. Monson's legacy of love...
- LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of...
- Mormon Parenting: Don’t call gay unions...
- Defending the Faith: A case for the...
- USA Today takes note of LDS sister missionaries
- Courage and valor: A bizarre order for a WWII...
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her...
- Live streaming: Frances J. Monson funeral
- LDS Church responds to Boy Scouts of... 80
- Defending the Faith: A case for the... 61
- Mormon Parenting: Don’t call gay... 57
- 'Tattooed Mormon' Al Fox shares her... 42
- Secretary of State John Kerry says... 28
- Wright Words: Oklahoma tornado provides... 24
- 'We're here to serve all boys,' Utah... 23
- Letters to family show Steven Powell... 17