Steve Eaton: It takes courage to leave behind your iPad and iPhone to serve a mission
My son won't need to worry about such things. He’s driven by an inner conviction that he is doing the right thing. I believe he is and I want to be there to support such courage. Since I’m out here in the real world, it will be my job to write him letters, update him on Herman Cain’s latest denials and let him know if anyone is proposing eliminating the state of New Mexico to cut back the size of government. If President Barack Obama wins and the Republicans are right about the world ending, I can send him a letter giving him a heads up.
When I went on my mission my family — being the jokers that they were — changed their names and moved away to another part of the country. It took me a year to find them but we all had a good laugh once I did. We would never do that to Jackson. In fact, we couldn’t. His iPad has got some sort of tracking device in it and I’m not about to relinquish my role as guardian of the iPad.
No, I’ve got his back. He can count on me.
I think I’ll go sneak another brownie.
Steve Eaton lives and works in Logan, Utah. It has taken time, but the people there have become accustomed to him and it has been weeks since there have been any "incidents." He can be reached at Eatonnews@gmail.com.
- Mormon missionaries shine shoes, teach the...
- Christmas lights on Temple Square in pictures...
- LDS missionaries developing strategies to...
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional tradition
- Mormon-raised Paul Walker remembered for...
- LDS growth in India draws media attention
- Space and religion: How believers view latest...
- Tabernacle hosts annual LDS Latino Christmas...
- Cardinal Dolan says Catholic church... 38
- Notre Dame sues over health care law's... 31
- BYU's linebacker Kyle Van Noy engaged... 29
- Seeing is believing: Doctor, family say... 25
- LDS Church alters Christmas devotional... 24
- LDS missionaries developing strategies... 22
- Defending the Faith: 'Pleased as man... 20
- What's new: 'Women and the Priesthood'... 16