Students capture Native American spiritual symbols on canvas
Jeffrey D. Allred, Deseret News
SANDY — Native American spiritual symbols and the vision of high school students are combined in a large-scale mural on display at Jordan High.
The three part, 18-foot long painting was created by students under the direction of an artist-in-residence from the Utah Center for Documentary Expression and Art.
"I was really impressed with the creativity of the students," said Jordan High art teacher Cozette Baddley."Also with their ability to step up to the plate and spend so many hours after school working on it."
About 20 students worked on the mural, which took four weeks of intensive in-school and after-school dedication. The students started their journey by taking a field trip to the San Rafael Swell in central-southern Utah earlier this year where they viewed and reflected on the Native American symbols seen there.
"I really enjoyed the atmosphere that we had on the field trip," said Sam Olesen, a senior at Jordan High. "We really got to just sit down and really speculate."
A large tree stands at the center of the mural, a monster derived from Native American stories beside it.
"The tree was kind of a symbol of all the artists working together," Olesen said.
Some of the students' portraits appear on the mural, as do swirling symbols like peacock feathers, butterflies and lizards.
"It evolved over time," Baddley said. "The smaller elements sort of crystallized over time."
Also incorporated in the painting are sugar beet fields, honoring the area's heritage, as are cityscapes and mountains.
Students captured some current events in the painting, including recent Occupy Wall Street protests in the work.
"We included all these subtle details," Olesen said.
The mural was a chance for the students to work together on a project that brought together ancient Native American symbols and the vision of very modern students.
"At school you're usually working on something smaller," Olesen said. "It was really fun to have the opportunity to work large scale."
- Man steals woman's boarding pass, checks into...
- Families of 3 missing persons ask for...
- Feds: Utah companies accused of conducting...
- 107 years of Grace: Cedar City resident still...
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he...
- Police: Draper man stole mail from more than...
- Hillary's grace: Watching her daughter...
- Shurtleff prosecutor working with feds to get...
- 200 gather at Utah Capitol in support... 49
- Ogden woman sues trooper, alleging he... 36
- Feds: Utah companies accused of... 24
- Census: Utah has youngest newlyweds,... 16
- Man fighting for custody of daughter... 16
- Utah GOP, state appear headed to court... 12
- Man steals woman's boarding pass,... 9
- Ex A.G. John Swallow wants FBI, DOJ... 7